Rule wish list

A discussion forum for proposed changes to the AWS rules

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: Rule wish list

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Exactly. I agree. Though a fair few people proved pushing a small car out to be strangely difficult on Saturday! Maybe they should just practice driving :wink:
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

And don't forget, once you have put the big robot out you have basically won, even if you only victory spin until the end of three minutes.
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Just read Dave's augments on the previous page. Its a much better argument than 50% 66% etc to have to eliminate all the cluster parts. So I guess I am converted to say all parts must be eliminated rather than a given weight. The only other thing is we need to be faster at counting down botlets when immobile.

This brings me to another interesting point me and Pete W were talking about. We don't see many people trying walkers. I think I counted 2 at the last AWS which is too low IMO. The rules allowing a cluster over a walker are getting more clusters/fleas but I think we should encourage more walkers.

What about:

3 rollers or walkers
& 1 cluster or walker

or
2 rollers
1 roller or walker
& 1 cluster or walker

Any thoughts on this?
TEAM GEEK!
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I have to admit I was unaware you were only allowed one walker in your team before; have I understood that right?
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Remote-Controlled Dave

There was nothing in the previous ruling to stop anyone entering 4 walkers, if that's what they wanted to do. It was only the 4th member that HAD to be either a walker or a clusterbot. The other three could be roller, walker, cluster, or whatever.

Since introducing the cluster rule, the number of people attempting to build walkers (or shufflers) has decreased, but the amount of people building fleaweights has increased a lot.

I would love to see more people attempting walkers, however I don't really get what you're suggesting Andy. I don't see how your new version differs from the current model?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Psychostorm

Post by Psychostorm »

Surely part of the appeal of a cluster bot is an entry into the FWS. Which brings the query: why no walker competition?
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

because walkers can win the AWS, been proven by Mutant.
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

because walkers can win the AWS, been proven by Mutant.
That was only once though and where spinners are involved, unlikely things can happen.

How about (if enough walkers are involved) do a walker competition, the winner of which gets a "bypass" to round 2...
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

considering kwijebo generally does well, ie making the final 16 or higher I dont think its needed, if more people built them more would do well, would a separate competition generate the required interest? no I don't think it will, but I'll be willing to host one
Remote-Controlled Dave

Kwejibo, Orkan and MutAnt always perform well, particularly at AWS 36 where I believe all three made it out of the groups. It's just difficult to make a good walker, but that's why they get a weight advantage. I think the amount of walkers we have is pretty much proportionate to the amount of walkers that managed to qualify on Robot Wars. We'd all love to see more of them, but we'd all love to see more original antweights in general. However, its unlikely to happen, as people would rather build something to win than something interesting. Look at me with Morbo (fairly dull, but wins fights) compared to what I used to attempt.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39