Autonomous Rules

Discussions around autonomous, semi-automatic and intelligent robots and systems.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

That's a thought, are there any rules against using the RCX1 at ant events? Apart from the fact they're heavy. Might be a really easy way to enter an auto in an AWS (though not very effective!)
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Adam Hargreaves

Post by Adam Hargreaves »

doesn't look likely that my autonomous one will be ready. Too much to do, too little time...
Team 'In Theory'
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Has anyone considered how we start the robots off especially if they have spinners. I was thinking of including the receiver still so they start of under radio control and then use a spare channel to switch to autonomous on activate. This would also give a way to get them back under control if things don't go quite to plan. The receivers I am using are only about 4.5 gms so it wont make much difference.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Couldnt you just use a simple servo to turn it on by remote, then it goes off on its own?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Minisumo bots have to have a start switch and a time delay after the switch is released. I'm not sure this is really good enough for a spinner.

I like the idea of a remote-control override of some description, i.e. the robot shuts down unless a certain R/C channel is at a certain value.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
josh

Post by josh »

pete dont tell me ur gunna make another spinner!!! :-?
olivers

Post by olivers »

Wouldn't it be best for people to build basic autonomous ants first but ban spinners until the basic rules and principles are sorted out.

Once you know if they are IR sensing an opponent, detecting ring-out by white paint around the edge of the arena and so-on then you can put together basic rules.

If I was building an autonomous ant I would aim at 150g 4" cube sensing and getting around the arena first before putting weaponry on it.

My 3p's worth
Remote-Controlled Dave

How could an auto know to avoid the spinning bit of the robot and attack the non-spinning bit anyway? It'd be a massacre!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Just like todays ants, without a brain, just pretty good luck.
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I didn't say I was going to make a spinner just that when working out how we start them off we should take into account spinners. Initially I would think sumo bots will be challenging enough but I am sure if they catch on active weapons will appear sooner or later. Dave it would be possible to have more than one preprogrammed attack sequence that could be selected depending on the opponent.