Object Detection Circuit

Discussions around autonomous, semi-automatic and intelligent robots and systems.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

alasdair

Object Detection Circuit

Post by alasdair »

Hi

I am looking for a simple object detection circuit for a micromouse. It will have two wheels constantly going forwards, but I will have a sensor sticking out the side to sense if there is a wall (it will automatically be able to turn right due to the body shape) but it will need to have a sensor on the left (if there is a left turn).

Can anyone help me with this?

I will expand later but I g2g as I am at school (lunch is ending!!!)
Andrew_Hibberd

Re: Object Detection Circuit

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

The simplest idea is a feeler that bends when you hit the wall. If this bends into a pin you can use that as an input to turn you. Or you could use a micro-switch with a longer arm on it.

If you want something more advanced a short range IR sensor would work. You can do very complicated things but are probably not necessary.
TEAM GEEK!
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

That sounds like a good plan.

How would I design the pcb? It basically needs to have the left and right motor going constantly forward (with the right motor going slightly faster(a variable resistor will sort that))
and a push to break microswitch, which when broken needs to make the left motor go backwards.

Any ideas? I dont think it needs a picaxe or anything of the sort.
daliad100

Post by daliad100 »

You could have a pair of micro switches rigged as an h bridge for the left motor set up to reverse when the switches are pressed.

Alternatively there is a circuit that allows motor reversal and speed control just using a potentiometer which you could reconfigure for this purpose. I'll see if I can make something work and post a circuit diagram if you want.
Team Imperial - What is that, metric?
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

If you are looking for really simple stuff you can use a micro switch and a double pole double throw relay. When the micro switch presses it can be used to reverse the direction of one motor. A while a go I build a sumo bot from just relays, it was a nightmare and didn't work on the day and no circuit board needed.
TEAM GEEK!