Unofficial Rules

Like antweights...only bigger!! (Unfortunately dead now...)

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

american roboteer

Post by american roboteer »

Everyone does thier time as a beginer getting their robot torn to shreds and such by more expeirienced robots regardless of age your robot will always be a target by the other robots (all in good sport i suppose)

Why should superants be any diffrent ?
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

because there would be no point in creating the weight class otherwise. The discussion about Superants is whether we should start to acknowledge them or not. We are trying to come up with a way of there being a point to acknowledge them. If everyone took your opinion, we may as well not bother and stick with ants.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Adam Hargreaves

Post by Adam Hargreaves »

though he has a very valid point...
Team 'In Theory'
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

Another point which people may disagree with but I'll put it out there is that if superants are watered down too much then people will:
1. Not want to compete as there is no real actio0n involved.
2. Not be challanged enough to make a very good robot
3. Find it very difficult to build a successful ant as the step between Super Ants and Antweights is too big.
The Irish Guy
Website Hosting:
http://www.dghosting.co.uk
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Found an old picture. The little one is the disc i have on Kwijebo-just imagine one of the others on a super ant :o
TEAM GEEK!
petec

Post by petec »

Are we doing robot wars or gentle patty-cake dancing? I think we 'adults' sometimes don't give kids enough credit when it comes to safety.

My thoughts on Superants -
1) The class should encourage builders of all ages who (a) have limited budgets - they are cheaper than virtually all ants, especially if you shop around; or (b) have limited skills in building or driving and want a starting place.
2) In order to make it credible, it does need some experienced builders to take part.
3) It should be fighting, full combat, with anything goes inside the arena. You can still keep it safe (Ian, 750psi connections at that size are not easy to make safe, decanting to tiny containers at that pressure is always dodgey and there would be a need for gas supplys at the events, which would rule out a lot of venues) without making it nancy!! Sharp blades are fine provided you treat them with care, keep them covered outside the arena and wear safety equipment when working on them. By all means augment the rules with a set of hints and guides (eg buy a cheap pair of safety glasses from B&Q and USE EM!!! I do, and I'm a fully qualified engineer!!
4) I think we are getting away from the original point in this thread. We want a simple set of rules as a starting point....lets just bloody try it!!!
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

OK, I agree with Pete. lol.
Maybe we should just say anyone who wants a crack at a Superant should just bring it to AWS18, see what turns up, and take it from there.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

Pete, there is no decanting required. All the very small ones (around 11g or slightly more of Co2 are disposable, i.e. one use). A small canister could easily be surrounded by 6mm polycarbonate without too much weight being used up.
The Irish Guy
Website Hosting:
http://www.dghosting.co.uk
Adam Hargreaves

Post by Adam Hargreaves »

In terms of discs, maybe some sort of speed, size (disc diameter) and weight limit should be used (summat like disc must not take up more than 20% of total robot weight) and limit speed to avoid complete carnage.
Team 'In Theory'
american roboteer

Post by american roboteer »

whats wrong with complete carnage?