Unofficial Rules

Like antweights...only bigger!! (Unfortunately dead now...)

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

You do have a very good point oliver, blades could be dangerous.
But how would you make a ruling between no sharp metal weapons and armour?
TEAM GEEK!
paul

Post by paul »

on the psi its not really the safty its the destructiuon caused by that kind of power against an openent.

with scapel blades we could ( :-? ) have a rule like a age limit on them?

probably wouldnt work but i thought id suggest it.
olivers

Post by olivers »

1. Weight = 250g for rollers
2. Weight = 375g for walkers
3. Size = 6" (150mm) cube
4. Metal weapons are permited
5. No rotating weapons
6. Pressurised weapons limited to 100psi
7. No metal armour

4 is the main one, either no sharpened points or covers must be kept on and only removed in the arena. I would personally go for no sharp objects. You have people putting hands in to get ants out of the arena, all it takes is little Johny cutting his hand on little Becky's (being PC) superant and this open's up a world of pain.

Personally I would go for no sharp objects, it really needs someone with young chirldren to add their views regarding this as it is more relevant to them.

Post by Guest »

hey excuse me maybe someone should ask the person who brought this weight together in the first place aka ME
The weight was designed to help newcomers in first place. Basiclly the rules were ment to the same as the Ants just weights and cube were different. Theres nothing wrong with running non spinner weapon events but not to use metal is stupid we had this with the ants and i wont stand for it on my weight division
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

Anonymous wrote:hey excuse me maybe someone should ask the person who brought this weight together in the first place aka ME
The weight was designed to help newcomers in first place. Basiclly the rules were ment to the same as the Ants just weights and cube were different. Theres nothing wrong with running non spinner weapon events but not to use metal is stupid we had this with the ants and i wont stand for it on my weight division
that was me btw
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

As a parent of young(er) children, I don't honestly see what the difference is between ants and superants. We already have children at ant events with all sorts of sharp blades and spinners around.
We already have rules in place to ensure blades are covered outside of the arena.
Youngsters building robots will be exposed to scalpels/craft knives, hot-melt glue guns, soldering irons, superglue etc etc before they even get to an event!
I really don't want superants to become so watered-down that it loses it's appeal otherwise we will have defeated the object of having it!
Also, I don't really expect a huge influx of very young children. I think broke teenagers and adults (possibly with young children) are more likely.

The only concern I have is that we as organisers of an event may be held liable for little Johnny's safety at an event. All we can do to counter this is to explain carefully to parents that we are *not* responsible for their children or their safety and that they are responsible for their children at all times. If they choose to leave their children at an event that's up to them.

I also think that the attitudes of competitors (whatever their age) are different to "the general public". We understand and are aware of the (potential) dangers of the robots (not just our own, but other peoples' too) and treat them with the respect they deserve. Public events are a different kettle of fish and do require a keen eye kept on visitors to ensure their (and the robots!!) safety.

Just my (rather long) 2p's worth.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Adam Hargreaves

Post by Adam Hargreaves »

building computers is far more dangerous than building robots-as my sliced thumb is evidence of. I've built spinning discs, and never had an accident, but my PC is another matter. The no spinner rule is a bit daft, and really limits the appeal of the class, tbh.
Team 'In Theory'
paul

Post by paul »

however with spinner disks at the weight of like 200g+ (with a walker) they would TRASH the oponents with the armour allowed (no metal)
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

Duff wrote:
Raizor wrote:Particularly at superant level why are we limiting to 100psi. I have no prob with 100psi working pressure but surely you can safely build an ant in the super class with 750psi (liquid co2) in it.

I believe this for 2 reasons:
1. There are no spinners so the probability of the tank getting damaged is greatly reduced
2. With proper planning I could easily cover the gas tank with 5mm poly all the way around thus virtually impregnable.
This wouldn't really be cheap or suitable for newcomers though would it? And I think thats what everyone is looking for in superants.
Well have you ever though that a newcommer could already have experience with pneumatics i.e. Mario and Mike Lambert before they began building Heavyweights. I just think limiting things for non safety reasons is rather silly. And after all how much damage can it cause to the opponent realistically? If you bounce any antweight off the roof of the box and back down it will 99% of the time still work.
The Irish Guy
Website Hosting:
http://www.dghosting.co.uk
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

OK, you asked for people with children's opinions:

Well, my son is six, and I would not let him build a robot with anything sharp on it.

For my school robot club, I had a "no sharps" rule because they were other people's children (although one child did cut his finger on a piece of metal swarf, luckily his dad was supervising him at the time).

If my son were ten then I would allow him scalpel blades etc, probably. But not spinners, they are really dangerous, and could remove your finger, rather than just making it bleed a bit.