Unofficial Rules

Like antweights...only bigger!! (Unfortunately dead now...)

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Well, I was most definatley a "beginner" at the last AWS. I had no technical experience (bar a B in GCSE electronics) and no money lying about that was spare (I don't work yet), and I still managed to build a good selection of ants as an inlay into the sport (largely thanks to Pete C).
I don't really see any difference in being a beginner at ant level and being one at superant level. Anyone who doesn't have the bits lying about still has to buy them, whichever class they want to enter.
I do agree however that if this class is going to take off, it's up to us to build them and get them out there, at events, and get them noticed. People should just throw one together with any leftover bits they have lying about that maybe are too heavy for ants, and just see what materialises, rather than design and plan them to cause maximum ability. Just bodge one up for now, see how it runs and then build an improved one if we can get the class off the ground.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
petec

Post by petec »

I would like to be able idealy to find a very light regulator to bring the pressure down to around 100psi.
Regulator is basically a spring valve that resists the pressure behind it. I would be impressed to see, even at Super, a reg strong enough to reduce full 750psi. I'm sure they exist (not much that doesn't) but whether they are practical or affordable is another matter. Certainly interested to hear if you've found some Ian.,[/quote]
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
petec

Post by petec »

Dave26 wrote:Anyone who doesn't have the bits lying about still has to buy them, whichever class they want to enter.
That is true but it is still possible to build a Superant for less. You can build a pusher using nothing more than the most basic radio set - no extras except some material for the body and that can be got from recycling rubbish. A 2ch set can be bought for less than 40 quid and anyone with an RC car may already have the kit. A 3ch set can be bought for about 70 inclusive.
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
paul

Post by paul »

in maplin you can (or atleast used to) buy a 2 channel rc set for ?20. compleat with everything. you could, in theory build a superant for alot less. to be honest sweetcorn was a supperant (kinda fat) and it only cost me ?10 and a 'bit' of time but it was my first so i wasnt that used toeverything.
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

petec wrote:
I would like to be able idealy to find a very light regulator to bring the pressure down to around 100psi.
Regulator is basically a spring valve that resists the pressure behind it. I would be impressed to see, even at Super, a reg strong enough to reduce full 750psi. I'm sure they exist (not much that doesn't) but whether they are practical or affordable is another matter. Certainly interested to hear if you've found some Ian.,
http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/online-catalog/rock.htm

This is what i am looking at atm, at a cost of only $60 there really not bad (around 35pounds). 85grams is a little heavy for an antweight but i think its usable in a super.
The Irish Guy
Website Hosting:
http://www.dghosting.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

I built a combat worthy ant out of the standard stuff I got with the original radio set, its not that difficult. But I see the point, it would have been nice to have the weight to play with. No point unless other people are going to build them too though...
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
paul

Post by paul »

at dave,

i know this is off tpic, but after looking at your ants i dont beleve they would fit into a 4'' cube. please correct me if im wrong.
Remote-Controlled Dave

at dave,

i know this is off tpic, but after looking at your ants i dont beleve they would fit into a 4'' cube. please correct me if im wrong.
at paul,

i know this is off tpic, but all my ants do indeed fit in a 4" cube, as you'll see at AWS18. lol.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39