Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

So the FRA is really only an assosiation which provide the basic feathweight rules? So if we turned our comitee into a cool website and call it the AWA? Is that really what the FRA is? Regular meetings, rule discussion, and provide the universal rules for 150g robotic combat?
<-=AWS 10 1st and 2nd champ=->
<-=AWS 13 1st and 2nd champ=->
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

No marco it provides much more than "Basic Featherweight Rules". It provides the rules for all weight classes and would have provided a dam good set of antweight rules only antweights decided to remain outside the fra. It also provides insurance etc. I suggest going to www.fightingrobots.co.uk and seeing for yourself. And marco even if what you said were to be true it still means its going strong.
The Irish Guy
Website Hosting:
http://www.dghosting.co.uk
olivers

Post by olivers »

'It provides the rules for all weight classes and would have provided a dam good set of antweight rules only antweights decided to remain outside the fra.'

Oooh, I saw smoe of these proposed rules and they were adapted heavy/feather rules that didn't suit ants.

You can see from the meetings minutes their rules change very frequently, we are at the stage now with ants where the rules have been static for approx 2yrs which is good.

Perhaps we should start a FRA flaming thread :)

29, getting closer to 30 by the day.
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

Rules should be constantly changing it shows how much the sport is changing and improving. Now we have featherweights that can turnover Heavyweights, and we have heavyweight flippers that make gravity and wheely big cheese look tame. We now have armour in Featherweights which would be more common on heavyweights.

I wont comment on the rules for ants which you saw as I have not seen them but i have heard the guist of them and they made alot of sense.

Anyway I am going to bow out here as I am getting older too and cant be bothered any more since my point is proved that the FRA is still going strong.
The Irish Guy
Website Hosting:
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

Well sorry but I agree with Oliver that rules should be set in stone, not on a chalk board.
So far I have come to terms that the FRA just write a set of rules. And cant really see how they are doing strong, or badly. I dont like the idea that they have regular meetings to tweak the rules. To me it just likes they are board and want something to do. But if they are like our Comitee then I guess I understand there worth more.
For our Comitee before, during or after every aws sets out to improve the ant weight sport. Not just for rules but really every single possible thing to do with ants.

"And marco even if what you said were to be true it still means its going strong."

If u read what i wrote Ian I never actualy disagreed that the FRA wernt going strong. I was just douting there worth on providing the universal rules.

"Rules should be constantly changing it shows how much the sport is changing and improving."

This I entirely disagree. How can something improve when the rules for what it is, is constantly changing. Its like saying a well trained short distance runner has to now adabt to running long distance.
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Or (to continue to completely digress from the topic) how about the Formula 1 rules, which change every year? To my mind, constant change is detrimental, especially if it is perceived as being just for change's sake.

That doesn't mean that the AWS rules shouldn't be changed. I have written on this forum about a few ambiguities in the rules, and I definitely think they need improving.

Simon
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

How about just rewriting the rules? Keep the same rules without any changes but in another text.
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
olivers

Post by olivers »

We can discuss the rules at the next WS in a few weeks and go over anything that needs ironing out.
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

But Simon and Marco they arnt making fundemental changes like changing heavyweights from 80kg to 100kg etc. THey are making small changes which do improve things. Other parts such as a guide to arnea safety have also been produced. The FRA Comittee are looking to forward the sport and are involved with UKRG which is working through schools.

And changing the rules can be good. Take GAA. This year numerous small rule changes have been made to encourage the sport. They now allow the goalkeeper to kick the ball out using a kicking tee, which reduces wear and tare on the hamstring and groin. They have attempted to cut out nigelly fouls such as jearsy pulling by having harsher punninshments for it. Also they have improved it for the fans because now when a player is ticked they are shown a black card so everyone knows they have been ticked and cannot be confused that maybe they were booked etc. Those are all positive rule changes.

A rule change which the FRA brought in which is very benificial is the Requirement for a power indicator light. This is very helpful for both arena marshels. The marshels know there is a problem if the light is out and the removable link is in. They also know there is a problem if the light is on and the link is out etc. It also helps me becuase with a cluster bot i can easily tell them appart due to the fact that I have a green LED on one and a Red on another.

Also at alot of these meetings the rules are discussed but no change is actually made to the rules. SUch as it was discussed moving Our featherweight weight limit to 13.8kg in line with the USA and Australia, but in the end it was agreed not to.
The Irish Guy
Website Hosting:
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

that LED rule has been used for a while so i dont see it as a fundamental new rule change. Back in debs april 2004 it was being used.
And I cant see how were are off topic. Have u noticed were in the "off topic" part of the forum. And dont give me "But were off topic in a topic that was made in the off topic section."

"How about just rewriting the rules? Keep the same rules without any changes but in another text."

And a different font as well. I like IMPACT.
Just jk :D