PSU

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

josh

PSU

Post by josh »

I've been having trouble with blowing the PSU repeatedly in my desktop. It's custom built but still under warranty so They have just been sending me a new PSU every couple of weeks when it blows as we can't find what is wrong. when they took the machine in for testing they found faults with the motherboard and RAM and replaced this although I have a feeling they just put those in because it was easier than testing for specific faults and that should have covered it. They want me to have it sent in again which is expensive so I'm trying to locate the problem myself. I have a feeling it may be the USB hard drive I'm using is drawing too much current as my design packages all auto save every 5 minutes with very large files. That's an easy fix with a mains powered external drive but it may not be that.
I've take apart the blown PSU units and it seems to be a rectifier semiconductor on the base of the PCB that has been blowing. the chip number is HS2M A8 and I believe this to be the datasheet:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datashe ... it4k3y.pdf
Does anybody know if this would suggest it to be a high draw from the USB/SD card internal unit? I have had a look and it seems the unit draws power through the motherboard and not directly from the supply so that could be why the motherboard was damaged but I'm not sure.
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
Simon Windisch

Re: PSU

Post by Simon Windisch »

Check this out http://www.worldstart.com/usb-limits/ USB should be limited to 500mA, which shouldn't be blowing your board.
daliad100

Re: PSU

Post by daliad100 »

A lot of the external hard drives in my house have two usb plugs to prevent it from blowing something.

I'd use a powered usb hub or hack a power brick to an usb extension cable and see if either works before shelling out for a new drive.
Team Imperial - What is that, metric?