Ever started something you wish you hadn't??

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

earthwormjim

Ever started something you wish you hadn't??

Post by earthwormjim »

I was bored this morning,and thought I'd try and remove the ariel on my transmitter,as it wont fit in my new pit box. :roll:
After screwing that up by pulling off the circuit board connector,leaving me with a range of about 10cm!! :( I managed to take off the metal cover on the FCC id board,and solder a wire traced back to further down the circuit board. Miraculously,this actually worked! Yay! :)
But I did not stop there,and am now left with this...
I just hope it works when I put it back together once the paint dries!! 8) :roll:
Jonny

Re: Ever started something you wish you hadn't??

Post by Jonny »

my hitec ranger 3 has a range of about 60cm from the end of the arial, does matter to much as the arial is long enough to never be more than 30cm from the robot :P by the way jim you should set up your own transmitter modification shop, i really want to know the temperature of my dx6i but am too chicken to install one incase i accidentally break the tx and have to shell out £80 for another
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

LOL.I am sure that knowing the temperature inside the case of my dx6i will come in handy one day!
The mod was was super easy.
I just soldered the 2 wires to the back of the power switch.(making sure that the 2 points measured 12v when switched on.)
I have just ordered an EL panel to make a back lit main panel screen,hopefully.:)
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

:lol: Hah!! I was thinking about opening my transmitted up to do a few mods, but now I don't think I'll bother!
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Progress ???????

olivers

Post by olivers »

I've done 2 mods on my DX6 (not the DX6i):

1) move the aerial inside the Tx

2) replace the 3.3V voltage regulator with a more efficient one, get a lot more battery life now.
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Interesting.I might have a go at that.
I was going to re-paint the original case,but once I had removed the electronics,I thought I might have a go at making a new enclosure,maybe I can do away with the need for sticking buttons onto the side,and make a case from scratch that incorporates some useful features,and does away with the parts that we don't need.
Does anyone use dual rates on their Tx?
Any suggestions??
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Which voltage regulator did you use Oliver? I've thought of trying something similar with my DX7se but not had the time and inclination to do so till now.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I do use a rate switch to make the steering less sensitive on some of the faster robots.
Strictly speaking under the antweight rule 2m) All radio control transmitters must be CE marked and comply with the R&TTE Directive.
Any modification to the transmitter invalidates the emc testing done as part of the compliance testing and thefore breaks this rule.
Now I am sure adding the odd button or switch is not likely be objected to, but re-caseing or fitting a switchmode regulator could be construde as a step too far.
Personally if the transmitter works reliably without interfering with others I have no objections.
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

I really only wanted to re-box the existing electronics to make it easier to get to the buttons and knobs that we use.
I wont be doing much else as,simply put,I wouldn't know how to. :)
I would like to mount the sticks upsidown to their original positions,I presume this will just mean that I will need to reverse all the channels in the TX software??
Or is there something that I have not taken into consideration?
Thanks Jim.