Safety, anyone?

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Safety, anyone?

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Found this footage on youtube recently, from Robot Wars 94 in America. Before rules and safety were a chief concern obviously!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do0tMegE ... annel_page
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Looks like fun, although that disc with no battlebox makes me cringe
TEAM GEEK!
Remote-Controlled Dave

The rockets make me cringe! lol. There's also a brief shot of Ramfire 500, or "the heavyweight with the nail gun cannon"
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
malivoirec

Post by malivoirec »

I remember there was a purple tracked robot named "X1" where it used a mini exposion to fire it's ram. Didn't pain in series 2 try the same weapon? It was such a dissapointment that it didn't run. I wanted to see it work.
Fortune cookie says: Pain is meerly a feeling;
unless its PERMANANT FOREVER.

Fortune cookie no.2 says: Take heed of
Last cookie
Remote-Controlled Dave

It wasn't called X1, it was a middleweight called Z. It used a shotgun cartridge to fire a spike out. X1 was made by the Winters who later built Tentomushi and SOFO and was perfectly "safe" in terms of robots.
Pain did use a small explosion to fire their spike but it was nowhere near the danger of Z. would still be illegal nowadays however, unless this Battlebots "anything goes" class takes off (which I dont think it will).
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Dave you have to much free time
TEAM GEEK!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Andrew, you are correct.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Starless Aeons

Post by Starless Aeons »

Dave26 wrote:It wasn't called X1, it was a middleweight called Z. It used a shotgun cartridge to fire a spike out. X1 was made by the Winters who later built Tentomushi and SOFO and was perfectly "safe" in terms of robots.
Pain did use a small explosion to fire their spike but it was nowhere near the danger of Z. would still be illegal nowadays however, unless this Battlebots "anything goes" class takes off (which I dont think it will).
Would Pain be legal under the IC engine rules though? IIRC, it operated by using a HP cylinder to power the strike which was driven by petrol vapour + air being ignited in the cylinder... which would surely count as a (albeit wierd) petrol engine?

I've toyed around with the idea of a full pressure flipper based on that concept, as 500ml of petrol stores orders of magnitude more energy than a tank of liquid CO2... essentially unlimited flips with no degeneration in power due to system icing or pressure drop!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Well, I don't think the current arenas even allow IC at all...I know they said we couldnt have petrol at the featherweight champs last month
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

some of us do :)