Any 18+ students with Autism happy to help with a dissertation?

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

petec

Any 18+ students with Autism happy to help with a dissertation?

Post by petec »

Hi folks

Been a while since I posted, but I run the forum in the background. I have a bit of an unusual request but hoping a few people might be able to help out.

My daughter, 20, (who some will remember as the driver of the classic Titanic) is in her final year of University and is currently going through the assessment for being diagnosed as autistic. Over the last couple of years it has become more apparent that she can read things differently to
how they are sometimes intended (job interviews/applications have been particularly interesting).

Because of this she has developed an interest in how autistic and non-autistic people read text differently and is researching it further for her final year dissertation. Unfortunately in the current climate it's difficult to find willing participants to help out.

I realise that the criteria is quite specific but was wondering if there was anyone out there who would be happy to do a 10 minute interview with her. Participants don't have to be diagnosed as autistic, just consider themselves as being so.

The whole process is overseen by the ethics committee at the university and any contact details would only be used for the interview and then destroyed (unless the participants wanted to see the final results, after which they would be deleted).

If anyone is interested, could they please DM me and I will pass my daughter's contact details on to them. As message from her below:

Hi everyone,
I am looking for participants for the final-year dissertation for my BA(Hons) English Language and Linguistics. This focuses on differences in how autistic and non-autistic students use and understand written sarcasm in messages online. The goal of the study is to better understand the advantages and disadvantages of using sarcasm outside of spoken conversations for both groups.

The study involves doing an interview with me via an online messaging app - either Discord or Fb Messenger (whichever is more comfortable) - and will take no more than 10 minutes.

Due to ethical reasons, all participants must be 18 or over, are students and are comfortable disclosing whether they consider themselves to be
autistic or not.

Any responses used from the interviews will be anonymised and the conversations themselves will be deleted once the study is over.
Many thanks, M
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com