What is it with Americans and imperial units?

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

MarkR

What is it with Americans and imperial units?

Post by MarkR »

Honestly,

I thought we'd all grown out of this insane inches, feet, 0.10" stuff by now.

Anyone else look at materials and components on US-based web sites or manufacturers and just want to cry?

Ok, so some components have datasheets only available in Chinese, but at least their mechanical schematics can be understood (in God's own millimetres)
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
EddieJ

Re: What is it with Americans and imperial units?

Post by EddieJ »

100% :lol:

Was looking for end mills yesterday and kept finding things like 6.35mm diameter ... oh quarter of an inch well that's useless to me :-?

Just remember an inch is split into 16ths, 12 inches to the foot, 3 feet to the yard, 220 yards to the furlong, 8 furlongs to the mile and 3 miles make a league. And that's just length, lets talk about imperial weights! ... :roll:
Bots:
DisinfectANT (Antweight), Cilit BANG (WIP Antweight), Kinetic Disassembly (WIP Antweight)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Honestly, I visualise distances in feet. It comes from working with scaffolding I guess. Inches are lost on me, I'm entirely metric for precise measurements, but if you ask me how tall a building is or how long that house is, my guesstimate would always be in feet.
Hoo boy, Imperial weights.
250lb is about 113.something kilos. That's all you need to know, right? 😂
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

all i know is 2.2lbs makes a kilo...

i know feet... but when they start talking about 3/16's or 12 thousandths of an inch, im lost...

i have to Google "whats blah blah in millimetres" or "whats blah blah in grams"

annoying...
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Unfortunately things get really difficult when you start doing PCB design.

A lot of components are traditionally pitched in inches. Popular pin pitch is 2.54mm and 1.27mm (1/10 and 1/20 inch). Also, there is a copper thickness standard called "1oz". I have no idea what that even means, but 2oz is twice as thick (Hey, that's better than the crazy AWG wire gauge which is inverted because of reasons)

Couple that with the problem that some components are actually pitched in mm, which means that stuff just doesn't really fit conveniently. Every PCB has a compromise of fitting with imperial/metric grids.

There is a unit known as a "mil" (in American, I think) which is not a millimetre, which in English was called "thou" - which is thousandth of an inch. So we have these components like ICs which have widths of "150 mil" which (for those still reading) is about 3.8 mm.

So yes, I just made a PCB and everything is all weird, but it's good, it seems to work, the tools have built-in conversions and we can just about tolerate it.

Peace and tolerance :)
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

well im currently driving at 125kmph in a car that weighs 2054lbs to fill up with 3 gallons of gas and pick a quart of 40 weight... then i plan on returning home, turning my ac on to get my apartment to a nice cool 68°f and cracking open a cold bottle of p*sswater erm i mean beer... then im going to eat a full pound of burgers in a can with spray cheese... if i can be bothered to walk the 22feet 11inches to my kitchen...

where the hell is my 3/8 socket???
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

I love how you went and used metric speed there as opposed to the standard imperial
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

There are some of us who are old enough to have used imperial units even in the UK and if they are like me they really do appreciate the improvement going metric made once you got used to the idea.
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

i was just using every measurement thats uncommon in the uk...

its strange how we use mm,cm,m primarily but not kilometers for distance or speed...

we do what we want here in the uk! :p
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)