Lipos

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Critters

Post by Critters »

Well here is the pack I want to use. The only thing is i have no clue how to work it. I have no idea if it can plug into a receiver and i have no clue what plug to charge it with.
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

What pack is that then?

Simon
Critters

Post by Critters »

Simon Windisch wrote:What pack is that then?

Simon
L O L

oops i forgot to post th link!

here it is:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXRVN9&P=7
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

The pack is OK but if you look at the shipping note it says:

Item Note A -
Flammable, cannot be shipped via Air
This item is classified as flammable. Due to regulations, orders containing flammable items may not be shipped via priority shipping methods which use aircraft such as international shipping, 1-Day Express, or 2-Day Express. This item may only be shipped within the United States using Surface Shipment.

So you will have to find another pack / supplier.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

(Assuming you are in the UK) It will be cheaper and simpler to get battery packs from a UK supplier.
Try these: http://www.gobrushless.co.uk/2s-lipo-300mah.htm

At ?5.99 with only ?1.00 P&P (plus a 5% discount for online orders) they are a bargain. Also the delivery was really quick when I ordered, I think they must have been posted the next day.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Critters

Post by Critters »

BeligerAnt wrote:(Assuming you are in the UK) It will be cheaper and simpler to get battery packs from a UK supplier.
Try these: http://www.gobrushless.co.uk/2s-lipo-300mah.htm

At ?5.99 with only ?1.00 P&P (plus a 5% discount for online orders) they are a bargain. Also the delivery was really quick when I ordered, I think they must have been posted the next day.

and there is the problem. Im in canada. So all these site im finding for 150g antwheights they are all UK.
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

Is there a list of receivers that can safely take 2 lipos as battery without the need for a BEC or seperate rx batt?
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Leo, I don't think there are very many. All the ones I have seen us standard 74-series logic chips to decode the channels. They should withstand 7V (just) but are not specified to operate above 6V.

Two Li-Pos give out about 7.4V, but usually start off about 8.4V.

Unless the receiver has its own voltage regulator built in, it is unlikely to survive 7.4V for very long. Any receivers specified at 4.8V/6V that are found to work at 7.4V may not do so for very long!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

I've used an old 5 channel pico Graupner model (XP10fm) with both lipos and NiMH at 7.4 - 8.4V for many years. Think I started using it at AWS15.
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

Could we talk about safety for a second?

Here is the thing. I've seen a lot of antweight roboteers stick their lipos at all sorts of places and although I understand there sometimes isnt much choice in the matter, but please could we refrain from sticking the lipo's on the outside and/or on the bottom of the robots? During AWS24 I was shocked to find that one of my opponents had its lipo stuck flat against the surface in the back and if Katjuscha would have hit it there we would have a fire on our hands.

Also, some of us are a bit too relaxed in charging and discharging lipo's. It is especially there we need to pay attention to them as they are not in the arena and it is usually while charging that things blow up. I propose there should always be a lipo-sack or something similar at an even that if a lipo starts to swell we can contain it as soon as possible.

Lipo's are very good for ants, but frankly I am amazed we havent had any lipo fires yet. And i for one would like to keep it that way.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website