pneumatic air tanks

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I am not sure i can do that with these tanks. The rim can't be bent inwards. I am also thinking of having the two tanks flush facing each other. I will try by making a tube to connect the two halves internally, then have a pipe comming out of the side of the connection.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/ ... 1173905137

Although i don't think i will be able to make it myself, can anyone make a tube from alumium, 15mm od, 11mm id and 8mm long? Willing to pay for your time :)
TEAM GEEK!
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Andrew, I could probably do that, I have some spare Aluminium bar, and a lathe. I'll need to measure it to make sure.

Simon

Edit: OK, I've started cutting. It'll take me a week or so.

Simon
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Sorry to hijack this topic, but Void is going pneumatic again so once again, I am on the hunt for air tanks.

What I used last time Void went pneumatic was a small canister, which someone I used to know (who was an engineer) had sent me some drill bits in - I'm guessing it was made of steel, really thin walled (about 0.2mm ish id guess), and had a screw on cap. It was about 15mm diamater, and about 50mm long if memory serves. Also (again if memory serves) I seem to remember it having something about 'jobbers' written on it, so I'm guessing holding drill bits was its primary function. I converted it into an airtank and it took the pressure of lego pneumatics just fine. Anyway, now I'm looking for some more like it, however my internet searchings havn't come up with anything useful, so does anyone know the kind of thing I'm on about, and if so, do you have any spare, or even better, do you have any idea where you can get them?

Thanks in advance,

Scott
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

That sounds like a bit of vintage engineering paraphenalia there Scott!
Can't say I've seen anything like it, and nowadays drills come in plastic containers that just push-click together. I don't rate their chances at 50psi :wink:
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Critters

Post by Critters »

Ok sorry to bring this old thread up but I was thinking about the same kind of flipper. I've seen those orange things in the chocolate egg that hold the toy used. You have to rap it in strong tape untill it's coverd. One that is not rapped but glued on the seem of the 2 halfs can hold like 50 psi if glue does not break.

say this is the orange thing
/ \
\ /
you have to rap the tape like the line in the egg. So it holds together better. Then glue seem to make it air tight, Then put tape over seem. finaly just rap the whole thing in tape. Then add valves.
/|\
\|/

Don't go by me. I only saw the thought of this. Then i made this up as i wrote.
malivoirec

Post by malivoirec »

I tried that idea when experimenting a pneumatic ant. The main problem is the volume of gas I could put in, as I could only manage 2-3 flips untill I ran out of gas. Try it by all means as I used dual cylinders which were of larger diameter than the lego ones which could end up as a successful match. Also I remember Hagley high school (cannot remember the website) had an ant that used the toy egg and two syringes at 50 P.S.I, however I think it never saw combat as it had no armour.
Fortune cookie says: Pain is meerly a feeling;
unless its PERMANANT FOREVER.

Fortune cookie no.2 says: Take heed of
Last cookie