just beginning

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

draganflyer

just beginning

Post by draganflyer »

ok say i just got me my Visa electron card and some money, is it possible to find a plan anywhere that says what to buy and where to buy it at the cheapest prices? cheers
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

OK, since all the old answers to this question disappeared, here's basically what you need to get started (the conventional way).

27MHz or 40MHz R/C transmitter
27MHz is hard to come by these days, you are better off with 40MHz FM. 40MHz AM is also available, but there's not much of it about , still best to stick to 40MHz FM. Assuming (one day) you will want an active weapon, then you need at least 3 channels. Popular transmitters are the Futaba Skysport 4 and the Hitec Laser 4. The Hitec Ranger is a pretty good 3-channel set and cheaper than the other 4-channel sets.

27MHz or 40MHz R/C reciever (to match transmitter)
Standard R/C recievers are usable in ants, although lighter (and consequently more expensive) receivers are available.

Drive servos
Two (modified) miniature R/C servos are the simplest drive motors. Servos in the 6-20g weight range are mostly used. Ripmax SD200's Supertec Naro HP/BB's and Saturn S-62's are popular. Look for modification instructions on various web sites. Basically you disconnect the geartrain from the feedback potentiometer and fix the potentiometer in the cetre position.

Batteries
Nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) or Lithium Polymer (LiPo) batteries are the most common for ants. It is possible (although expensive!) to run on alkaline (disposable) batteries. The simplest way to start is with a 300mAh NiMH pack. A spare battery pack is useful for competitions.

If you buy your transmitter on its own you will probably also have to buy batteries for it. Most transmitters can take AA cells (alkaline or rechargeable) or a rechargeable battery pack.

For any rechargeable batteries, don't forget you will also need a suitable charger.

Crystals
If you buy your transmitter and receiver separately you will also need to buy a set of crystals. It is best to have a spare set (of a different frequency) when entering competitions.

Other stuff
With a bit of imagination, the rest of an ant can be made without great expenditure. Balsa wood and art card are useful. 1mm polycarbonate is often used for armour, but it's entirely up to you.

Kits
You can buy a set of R/C gear which will include a transmitter, receiver, servos, crystals, transmitter batteries and a charger. However, the servos will be "standard" size ones which are too big and heavy for antweight use. You can usually upgrade to suitable servos by paying the difference in the price of the servos. The receiver will be a "standard" one which is OK for antweight use.
When comparing a complete set against a transmitter-only deal, remeber to add crystals, batteries and a charger to the cost of transmitter.
You can buy a complete antweight-ready kit, including pre-modified servos from the http://www.robotwars101.org shop.

Where to buy
Apart from the Robotwars101 shop, there are many online R/C model shops, or you may have a model shop near you. When buying a transmitter it's best to have a look at what you intend to buy, to check that it will be comfortable for you to use.
Unfortunately 40MHz R/C gear doesn't seem to appear on the 2nd hand market very much. Don't buy 35MHz gear - it's for aircraft only!
Check the "Resources" topic for suggestions of where to buy - hopefully it will be repopulated soon.

Hope this has been of some help...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

A spare battery pack is useful for competitions
And remmember to charge it! That was gonna be a reminder for me :(
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Not meaning to sound vulgar or intrusive here, but how much money do you have at your disposal? The reason being, advice will be very different depending on waht you have to spend.

ie. if it's ?50, get yourself a 2 channel futaba radio kit (attack?) and some batteries from overlander. Job done.
But then if it's ?200 we can reccomend some high class stuff.

Anyway, regardless of your budget, I think you need some tower pro servos. Micro servos for standard servo price. only 5g for ?6.99. Got some the other day, and they're damned good. If you can afford lithium batteries, i'd reccomend you go for them too. You'll only end up upgrading to them later, so you might as well get them now if you can. They're not too expensive either. A standard ant pack is about ?9.

Also, get a hitec reciever if you can. 9g and only ?15. you'll have to go far to beat that. Also a nice sheet of 1mm polycarb will be useful. ?3 a sheet, and that should easily cover all your ant armour needs.

Anyway, I'd say the best advice is to have an idea of your ant first, before you buy stuff. So if you're building a pusher, look for a suitable servo, if you want a spinner, little batteries are no good. Have an idea of what you want before you go buying it.

Useful links:

http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/?page=shop&category=9 - Good servos! All cheap.
http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/Fe ... er-765.htm Excellent, light reciever.
http://www.indoor.flyer.co.uk/cells.htm Lithium cells. A good investment.
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

The Futaba Skysport 4YF from Sussex models http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/Sk ... m-1600.htm is a great transmitter for ?28. You'll need to buy a battery pack for it and also a pair of crystals. The crystals are ?10 for a pair ( I usually buy them from Technobots) and the price of batteries for transmitters varies enormously. I recommend you shop around.

Hope that helps.

Simon
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

The starter kit in the ant shop was a great starting point for me.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
draganflyer

Post by draganflyer »

budget really insnt an issue at the minute