A few queries

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The 4" cube rule is an arbitrary limit, just like the 150g rule. Why have the weight limit? We might as well open the competition to heavies!

The size and weight limits are what essentially define the antweight class. I think we can safely assume that neither are up for discussion.

I don't know why it's 4" and not 100mm (sorry I'm an engineer and don't do cm!), but I always work to a 100mm design and figure I'll need the extra 1.6mm for my (in)accuracy!

Just to recap on another oft-asked question...
The robot can fit in the cube any way up even at an angle. It does not have to fit with its wheels on the "floor" of the cube. In this way, the maximum length of a robot is around 140mm, fitting between two diagonally opposite edges of the cube.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

Bigshot team capt wrote:Sorry, I'm a Razer fan. Changing weapons, fair enough, but altering the entire shape of the robot is not on in my opinion. Plus it didn't fit in teh pit...
I am going to let this go but I'll just say this, Its not cheeting if its within the rules of robotwars, they were. Its not tornados fault it didn't fit in the pit.
BeligerAnt wrote:I don't know why it's 4" and not 100mm (sorry I'm an engineer and don't do cm!), but I always work to a 100mm design and figure I'll need the extra 1.6mm for my (in)accuracy!
That reminds me of a Joke I was told by Tomo (a former AWS comittee member).

A man asks 3 people, a mathamatician, a scientist and an engineer the same question: What is 2 + 2.

The Matamatician said: "Thats procisly 4"
The Scientist said: "Thats between 3.5 and 4.5"
The Engineer said: "Thats 7 allowing for an error factor of 2"
The Irish Guy
Website Hosting:
http://www.dghosting.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

The 4" cube rule is an arbitrary limit, just like the 150g rule. Why have the weight limit? We might as well open the competition to heavies!

The size and weight limits are what essentially define the antweight class. I think we can safely assume that neither are up for discussion
I'm not tryna change anything, just interested. My view is its antWEIGHT not antSIZE. A lot of really gud ideas are limited by it, thats all.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
petec

Post by petec »

I've only read half the discussion, so don't jump on me, but the cube is for two reasons.

The original concept of ants was 'right here, right now' - so ants needed to be pocket sized. They were originally 100g (not sure when they changed, but well before WS1) and should fit in your pocket.

The cube also doubles as a fine carry-case (if you can be bothered) and, to an extent, encourages innovations such as Oliver's folding ants. All rules are arbitary but there was logic behind them.
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
Remote-Controlled Dave

Fair enough, makes sense. Guess I better get my inventive cap on then. :D
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
olivers

Post by olivers »

phew, been away for a few days.

The 4" cube rule was orignally made by Adam Clark.

If it wasn't there I could see 90% of ants being very low wedges 6-8" in size, like bigger versions of Sub.
Cavecrusher

Post by Cavecrusher »

then lose the drop off rule, or a timed one

realise that we are the only weight class that has so many 'stupid' rules on antweight/arena size and shape
Remote-Controlled Dave

Guess it's all part of the ant experience. Without all the little rules, its less of a challenge and, hence, less fun.
Am amazed with the variety we get in ants as it is. With all the rules, they still all pretty much different from one another.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
petec

Post by petec »

Actually, I would go further and say that the reason we get so much diversity is because of the 'daft rules'. I reckon antweight has more variety it design than any other weight class because of these restrictions.

In terms of the arena, the 'right here, right now' principle was the same for that. Adam wanted people to be able to turn up at an event with their own arena and challenge people to fight them on home territory. Of course, then no one expected the spinners to become so dangerous and the arenas were little more than decorated board...in fact AWS 1 was fought on a piece of MDF that wasn't even the right size!

ALL rules in ALL competitions are entirely arbitrary and make up the challenge and the spectacle. Antweights is no different. But probably more successful....
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
Remote-Controlled Dave

Anyone reakon it's possible to build a petrol-powered ant?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39