Starting Positions

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

MySolderIsOlder

Starting Positions

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

Here's a question that has occasionally bothered me at the few events I've attended so far. I couldn't see anything in the official rules so was hoping we could clear this up before Saturday.

Are there any guidelines/expectations/rigidly-held-beliefs on where the robots should be positioned at the start of a fight? Do they *have* to be positioned at opposite ends (in which case, is it the person who puts their bot in first who determines the starting axis) or can the fight start with competitors at right angles?

Most arenas have a long-axis and a short-axis to some extent. The long axis obviously benefits spinning weapons as there's more time to get up to speed before first contact. Conversely, the short axis would favour flippers/pushers. As a hypothetical, if my opponent puts their flipper into the arena first on the short axis, would I be committing a terrible offence by positioning my savage but slow-starting spinner at right angles to it, in the hope of getting more time to spin up before they reach me?

Far as I can see, the rules don't even say you have to start at the ends, so in theory one could plonk your ant down right in the middle of the arena, or even alongside your opponent. I assume most EOs would raise an eyebrow to the latter option - but would be good to clarify the boundaries of acceptable behaviour!
Stuart (Tony's dad)
Ocracoke

Re: Starting Positions

Post by Ocracoke »

The BotFest arena is a square so aside from having one side partially open to the pit, there isn't any axis advantage to be had.

As an EO, I don't mind in what orientation the robot is in relation to the opponent. As for where they start in the arena, it is common practice for the opponents to be opposite each other but you are correct. there isn't any hard and fast rule in the AWS series of rules as to where opponents start.
Far as I can see, the rules don't even say you have to start at the ends, so in theory one could plonk your ant down right in the middle of the arena, or even alongside your opponent. I assume most EOs would raise an eyebrow to the latter option - but would be good to clarify the boundaries of acceptable behaviour!
I would call shenanigans on the opponents being alongside each other for a competition match. Being in the middle is a tactical disadvantage in my opinion and common courtesy would say not to. I would possibly say no to starting in the middle as well.
Team Kaizen

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
FW: Azriel
MW: Jibril, Kaizen
Kyro

Re: Starting Positions

Post by Kyro »

opposite is what i have always done...
that can be either axis... its good practise to be the first in the arena anyway as events generally have hundreds of fights and the shorter the down time between fights, the better
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)