Hobbyking

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Tufty

Hobbyking

Post by Tufty »

Just a quick question really, I've been waiting almost a month for a delivery from them. Is this normal? Seems a bit extreme when Bristol Bot Builders managed to get a load of parts to me faster than some first class mail posted the same day. I've asked them for an update but so far been met with silence from customer services.
Current active ants: Scrooge McDerp | Ply-By-Wire (likely not to see competition) | Grinding Nemo | When Unicorns Go Rogue
Ocracoke

Re: Hobbyking

Post by Ocracoke »

Depends on the item and wherever they have UK stock of that item. Its something I've been caught out by before where the item is coming from the EU or from elsewhere.
Team Kaizen

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
FW: Azriel
MW: Jibril, Kaizen
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

I would definitely chase it up, the items weren't on "back order" were they?

I've never had them take more than a few days really. I try to only order stocked items.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Tufty

Post by Tufty »

I have a partial update on this. They deny having any record of me buying from them, but they were happy enough to take the money out of my account last month. I asked if they could at least give me a refund if they can't find the order, and they're back to giving me the silent treatment.
Current active ants: Scrooge McDerp | Ply-By-Wire (likely not to see competition) | Grinding Nemo | When Unicorns Go Rogue
Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Just to update you all, this is looking more and more like actual fraud on Hobbyking's part. I've spoken to the bank about getting a refund, and they're struggling to get an answer too. I'm now waiting for a call back from Citizen's Advice.

If I could have bought a battery from BBB I would have. Far better service!
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

I would really hope it's cock-up rather than conspiracy (to do fraud).

I expect it to get sorted eventually, HK do try to be a good retailer in my experience (I've ordered a few times)

---

The difficulty with smaller retailers stocking / shipping lipos is the rules concerning safe storage and transport, it becomes prohibitively expensive to try to ship smaller batches of stuff. I am really hoping that BBB or some other robot shop manages to overcome these problems, especially as HK have discontinued the best packs for Antweights anyway.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Tufty

Post by Tufty »

They've now told me that without a reference number for the purchase (which they never sent, because they never actually processed the order) they can't return my money. So they've literally stolen £22.50 from me.

Where else do people buy their antweight batteries from?
MySolderIsOlder

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

I used to use HK a lot when they still sold the 180mah nanotech lipos (and would often pick up random brushless motors from their bargain bin) but since Turnigy stopped making the small stuff, I've not bothered. Even with brushless motors, they seem to have far less available in teh smaller sizes now. Personally I always found them reliable, though I did learn only ever to order from the UK warehouse, as European or Global stock items could take ages.

Another good source for batteries is The Component Shop. Website is a bit buggy but they sell the Giant Power 2S 120mAh LiPOs, which are only 11g. Downside for me is they ship via APC - and my local APC depot are a nightmare.

The real challenge I've found lately is sourcing replacements for the old *3S* 180mah Turnigy nanos without completely blowing the weight allowance. Various 300mah options available on eBay, with differing form factors (had some good experiences with the long thin ones by GNB) - but you have to be careful it really is a seller with UK stock or again you could be in for be a long (possibly indefinite) wait.
Stuart (Tony's dad)