Fusion 360

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Tufty

Fusion 360

Post by Tufty »

Hi guys,

I can't seem to change the material that Fusion 360 wants me to work with. I want it made from plastic, but it's insisting that all parts are steel. You can probably imagine my shock when I saw that a basic body, sans bolts, weighed over half a kilo!

Any idea how to change this? Do I need to start again having reset my preferences? (I hope not but if it's necessary...!)

Thanks
Current active ants: Scrooge McDerp | Ply-By-Wire (likely not to see competition) | Grinding Nemo | When Unicorns Go Rogue
EddieJ

Re: Fusion 360

Post by EddieJ »

Off the top of my head, in the stack on the left, right click the Body you want to change, "Material Properties" then browse the library below to select a material.
Should do it? If not, grab that swatch and drag it onto your part.
Bots:
DisinfectANT (Antweight), Cilit BANG (WIP Antweight), Kinetic Disassembly (WIP Antweight)
MySolderIsOlder

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

Depends how you've got your tabs/toolboxes set up but right click the body in question in the browser (aka "stack on the left" ;) ), then select "Physical Material".
The Physical Material toolbar has two sections - swatches of materials already "In this design" and and a library section grouped into folders for Metal, Plastic, etc. In either case you can just drag the swatch and drop onto the body in the browser.
Selection of materials is pretty comprehensive and you can can edit them at will. For example I work with polycarbonate a lot but the default Clear and Bronze swatches can be a pain cos their transparency makes them hard to see on screen - so I've changed the latter to be black. Right-click a swatch under "In this design" and select Edit, then Advanced - gives you extensive options for tweaking the appearance and physical properties.

Obviously, if you're 3-d printing, the actual part may weigh significantly less, depending on factors like wall thickness and infill but still a useful guide.
Stuart (Tony's dad)
Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Not been online for a few days but thanks guys, sorted now!
Current active ants: Scrooge McDerp | Ply-By-Wire (likely not to see competition) | Grinding Nemo | When Unicorns Go Rogue
Tufty

Post by Tufty »

I posted another question but then found the answer myself. However, in case anyone else comes along in 6 months time with the same problem (although I think it's just me being an idiot :lol: ), I'll post the solution:

I couldn't work out how to get the design out of Fusion 360 into Creality Slicer when everything I read is saying that it has to be STL format, and that wasn't an option. The format that I discovered that both use is OBJ.

If I've missed something else, by all means correct me!