Silly American question

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

minionhunter

Silly American question

Post by minionhunter »

What do the prefixes stoke and sub mean?

I watched an aws that was at Stoke Sub Hamilton and another at Bastingstoke (I apologize if they are misspelled). Are they just names or are they to identify a feature like Harwich port is a different town than Harwich?

Thank you and I apologize for the silly question.
MarkR

Re: Silly American question

Post by MarkR »

Do not assume the UK place names have any sensible meaning. Also don't assume that they are unique; there are at least *three* Kingstons in England, and 10 Sandfords (And that's just in England, there are probably more elsewhere).

You will find some info on etymology of place names, on e.g. Wikipedia, but often it's "nobody knows".
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

MarkR wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:13 pm Do not assume the UK place names have any sensible meaning. Also don't assume that they are unique; there are at least *three* Kingstons in England, and 10 Sandfords (And that's just in England, there are probably more elsewhere).

You will find some info on etymology of place names, on e.g. Wikipedia, but often it's "nobody knows".
OK we aren't too different here, except we copy all UK names for towns. I grew up in Westminster Maryland and I've yet to live in another state that didn't have a city of Westminster in it.

So the "stoke sub" has no specific meaning...
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

This is definitely the most unexpected question to find here, but I do actually know the answer!

Stoke is a very common place name in Britain, it's derived from the old English word 'stoc', which means settlement.

Sub means under or beneath. (ie. submarine, sub-standard, etc.)

Don is from the old English word 'dun' meaning hill. (the word 'dune' has the same origin, so 'sand dune' = 'sand hill')

So Stoke-sub-Hamdon means Settlement under Ham Hill - which is apparently where the town is located.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

i was today old when i found this out
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

I wasn't aware of the meaning of Don - cool!
Also Luke - the fancy coloured text makes your robot names impossible to read :p
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

GeorgeR wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:26 pm This is definitely the most unexpected question to find here, but I do actually know the answer!

Stoke is a very common place name in Britain, it's derived from the old English word 'stoc', which means settlement.

Sub means under or beneath. (ie. submarine, sub-standard, etc.)

Don is from the old English word 'dun' meaning hill. (the word 'dune' has the same origin, so 'sand dune' = 'sand hill')

So Stoke-sub-Hamdon means Settlement under Ham Hill - which is apparently where the town is located.
Thanks George!!!
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

LimaHotel wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:12 am I wasn't aware of the meaning of Don - cool!
Also Luke - the fancy coloured text makes your robot names impossible to read :p
that's fine with me...

gives everyone a little extra fun after reading my brilliant and informative posts...
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

Kyro wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:13 pm
LimaHotel wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:12 am I wasn't aware of the meaning of Don - cool!
that's fine with me...

gives everyone a little extra fun after reading my brilliant and informative posts...
I can read them easily on my tablet
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Kyro wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:13 pm that's fine with me...

Talking of brilliant and informative posts, are we getting one with all the details for aws61 soon? It's barely a month away!
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker