Building an arena question

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Kyro

Re: Building an arena question

Post by Kyro »

its just where the design lead me.

lots of testing and exposing and fixing weaknesses... the 3 prong was great for grabbing, but it was very top heavy and as such, was slow to self right... easily beaten by low fast wedges... flippers... spinners... basically anything that wasn't a nice grabbable shape.

and yes, it was 2 servo's for the grab and lift... not the most efficient way of doing things, but i hand make all of my robots using not much more than a pair of scissors and a dremel so its what worked best for me.

and feel free to ask as many questions as you like, i was in your shoes once asking lots of questions and everyone here helped me out... im just returning the favour so that in the future, you can help out someone new, and then they can help someone new...
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

Kyro wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:01 pm its just where the design lead me.

lots of testing and exposing and fixing weaknesses... the 3 prong was great for grabbing, but it was very top heavy and as such, was slow to self right... easily beaten by low fast wedges... flippers... spinners... basically anything that wasn't a nice grabbable shape.

and yes, it was 2 servo's for the grab and lift... not the most efficient way of doing things, but i hand make all of my robots using not much more than a pair of scissors and a dremel so its what worked best for me.

and feel free to ask as many questions as you like, i was in your shoes once asking lots of questions and everyone here helped me out... im just returning the favour so that in the future, you can help out someone new, and then they can help someone new...
Thanks! As long as the kids cooperate, I'm going to spend the day finding a component list to order and likely post to make sure I didn't screw up something.

The one thing I'm worried about are the transmitters. I think the Devo 7e sounds really cool, but I don't know if the binding issues were resolved with those transmitters. I've got 4 that I will need to buy to start, so it's a significant investment to make. I just want to make sure that I'm investing in a good way that will last and have the advantages that I need. I still need to do more research into it, just when I stopped in 2016 that was the main problem I saw (new 7e might not bind to the rx). I saw the other alternative was the flysky in a recent thread here but I haven't researched that yet.

OK I have to snow plow my driveway and then I'll get to it and start another thread here later so I can leave this one to the arena questions.

Thank you all again for your generous help.
cmalton

Post by cmalton »

I have just responded to your PM - although many here have already passed (correct) comments on my arena. I don't frequent the forums that frequently unless I'm running an event.

If people are interested, I'll see if I can sort out some drawings.

As anyone who's done my events can attest - it's a bit of a squeeze getting mine in the back of my Ford Galaxy (along with all the technology bells and whistles I bring!) but it does go with some careful Tetris.
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

for transmitters i highly recommend the flysky fs-i6...

its cheap but very good quality and the best part is you dont need some sort of a degree in coding software to set it up unlike the devo...

they can be picked up for about £25-£30 and the receivers are great value... i recommend the fs2a receiver as it has 4 channels and if you dont solder on the supplied pins (i direct solder everything to it) weighs less than 1 gram and has a tiny footprint. it is also able to take direct 2s current so a bec is not needed.

i get these receivers for around £4 each.

most people agree that these transmitters are likely the best starter transmitter for both value and ability, but i cannot see any reason stopping these being a good transmitter until the technology becomes obsolete.

i have 3 of these and have had no issues other than 1 being a bit close to where i was grinding some steel and the dust getting inside and causing a few issues with 1 of my channels... a quick clean solved it...

i have dropped them more times than a fully capable adult should have and yet they are still going strong.

and the best bit, they are so easy to set up its unreal... the menu's are all where they should be with nothing hidden inside menu apon menu like the devo...

you dont have to flash any software to have them work properly unlike the devo, although you can flash software which would upgrade from 6 channels to 10 with no modifications or to 12 channels and adding another 2 switches/potentiometers...

but all mine are stock...
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

cmalton wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:07 pm I have just responded to your PM - although many here have already passed (correct) comments on my arena. I don't frequent the forums that frequently unless I'm running an event.

If people are interested, I'll see if I can sort out some drawings.

As anyone who's done my events can attest - it's a bit of a squeeze getting mine in the back of my Ford Galaxy (along with all the technology bells and whistles I bring!) but it does go with some careful Tetris.
Thanks Chris!

I'll also post a build with my construction, so others can follow if they have the same questions I do.
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

Kyro wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:24 pm for transmitters i highly recommend the flysky fs-i6...

its cheap but very good quality and the best part is you dont need some sort of a degree in coding software to set it up unlike the devo...

they can be picked up for about £25-£30 and the receivers are great value... i recommend the fs2a receiver as it has 4 channels and if you dont solder on the supplied pins (i direct solder everything to it) weighs less than 1 gram and has a tiny footprint. it is also able to take direct 2s current so a bec is not needed.

i get these receivers for around £4 each.

most people agree that these transmitters are likely the best starter transmitter for both value and ability, but i cannot see any reason stopping these being a good transmitter until the technology becomes obsolete.

i have 3 of these and have had no issues other than 1 being a bit close to where i was grinding some steel and the dust getting inside and causing a few issues with 1 of my channels... a quick clean solved it...

i have dropped them more times than a fully capable adult should have and yet they are still going strong.

and the best bit, they are so easy to set up its unreal... the menu's are all where they should be with nothing hidden inside menu apon menu like the devo...

you dont have to flash any software to have them work properly unlike the devo, although you can flash software which would upgrade from 6 channels to 10 with no modifications or to 12 channels and adding another 2 switches/potentiometers...

but all mine are stock...
Is there anything that the Devo has that's an advantage over the flysky? The sticks work the same, no other features? If not, that's sounds like the flysky is better and I should go with them.

Thanks again!!!
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Oh Kyro does like to exaggerate regarding the Devo :P
What's good about the devo then. Uuuh, it's powerful. The interface is horribly technical and non-user friendly, but does allow you to do your own programming. It's rare you'd want this power (I've only used it once and that was to make 4WD with a wheel on each individual channel because the 1ch speed controllers I was using weren't powerful enough to run 2 motors and didn't have synchronised clocks so their deadzones didn't line up. For the record I gave up on that shortly after I got it working and just used a decent speed controller instead. It was a fun activity though), but if for whatever reason you do want it it's there.
The Devo is also quite small. I quite like that about it, but I know some people don't.

The Fs-i6 is great from what I've seen / heard. It's super easy ot use, super cheap, has readily available, lightweight, cheap receivers... The next Tx I'm buying is gonna be an Fs-i6 (I don't actually own one yet), and once I've had a proper play with one myself I imagine it will hold my sterling recommendation. I'm already planning to suggest my old man (who's wanting to get into this) to get an Fs-i6 over a Devo like my brother and I have, as I SERIOUSLY doubt he'd be able to wrap his head around how to do the mixing on the Devo, whereas it's just something that you turn on on the Fs-i6.

One final point to consider that I cannot comment on at all is modifications. The Devo I know can be easily modded to have extra switches, different kinds of switches... Not a clue how you do this but George has assured me it was easy enough. I have no idea regarding the Fs-i6 however.
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

LimaHotel wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:11 pm Oh Kyro does like to exaggerate regarding the Devo :P
What's good about the devo then. Uuuh, it's powerful. The interface is horribly technical and non-user friendly, but does allow you to do your own programming. It's rare you'd want this power (I've only used it once and that was to make 4WD with a wheel on each individual channel because the 1ch speed controllers I was using weren't powerful enough to run 2 motors and didn't have synchronised clocks so their deadzones didn't line up. For the record I gave up on that shortly after I got it working and just used a decent speed controller instead. It was a fun activity though), but if for whatever reason you do want it it's there.
The Devo is also quite small. I quite like that about it, but I know some people don't.

The Fs-i6 is great from what I've seen / heard. It's super easy ot use, super cheap, has readily available, lightweight, cheap receivers... The next Tx I'm buying is gonna be an Fs-i6 (I don't actually own one yet), and once I've had a proper play with one myself I imagine it will hold my sterling recommendation. I'm already planning to suggest my old man (who's wanting to get into this) to get an Fs-i6 over a Devo like my brother and I have, as I SERIOUSLY doubt he'd be able to wrap his head around how to do the mixing on the Devo, whereas it's just something that you turn on on the Fs-i6.

One final point to consider that I cannot comment on at all is modifications. The Devo I know can be easily modded to have extra switches, different kinds of switches... Not a clue how you do this but George has assured me it was easy enough. I have no idea regarding the Fs-i6 however.
Thank you!

What would you want to add or change switches for?

Also I'm looking for deals on these and it looks like the i6x is the model to get, but I was reading one site (banggood) and it said left hand throttle or right hand model, is this something you can change after you get it? I apologize for the very simplistic questions.

Thank you very much for your help!
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

stick with the standard i6...
i dont recall what exactly, but the x had some sort of issue that randomly pops up on some models...

probably fixed by now, but you wouldn't know if you have an affected model...

the sticks are easily switched as all 3 of mine were meant to drive from the right with throttle on the left...

its as easy as swapping either the gimbals around (including the connectors) or a little trickier way is to swap the actual spring, a pin and a tension bar over...

replacement gimbals cost about £12 and liturally need to just be plugged in in place of the original gimbal assembly

its about 8 screws in total to open and change gimbal. requires unplugging 4 connectors, 2 of which are optional but make life easier as it allows the back of the tx to be completely separated from the front (battery and update/training port) with the other 2 being the gimbal itself
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

Kyro wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:28 am stick with the standard i6...
i dont recall what exactly, but the x had some sort of issue that randomly pops up on some models...

probably fixed by now, but you wouldn't know if you have an affected model...

the sticks are easily switched as all 3 of mine were meant to drive from the right with throttle on the left...

its as easy as swapping either the gimbals around (including the connectors) or a little trickier way is to swap the actual spring, a pin and a tension bar over...

replacement gimbals cost about £12 and liturally need to just be plugged in in place of the original gimbal assembly

its about 8 screws in total to open and change gimbal. requires unplugging 4 connectors, 2 of which are optional but make life easier as it allows the back of the tx to be completely separated from the front (battery and update/training port) with the other 2 being the gimbal itself
OK cool! I'll get 4 of the i6 (one for each of the family - my wife) and plan to flash the software myself. I'm going to start a thread on transmitters, but all night yesterday I spent researching this and it seems like flysky is a good entry level (but likely need gimbal upgrades). I have been looking at the jumper T16 pro hall also, because it can bind so many different receivers. Much more expensive though. Flysky sounds great for entry level like me.