Help for a big event

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Team Orr

Re: Help for a big event

Post by Team Orr »

Thanks for the reply's guys, interesting to hear your opinions as ever.

From the beginning the idea was to avoid servo drive. The list of components will be very similar to what Andy listed except without the Sabertooth (Perhaps the Fingertech controllers or a Peter board) and the occasional odds and ends. With regards to the 3D printing aspect, I didn't expect quite this amount of backlash, but interesting to hear your arguments regardless. Apart from connivance the main reason i picked it was because it appears to be where the weight class is heading. Theres quite a few 3D printed robots out there nowadays, and a lot of them are doing really well. Dont get me wrong, i will find a way to incorporate a "low tech" robot into the show, but im sticking to my guns here.

In other news, Josh just sent me a rough C.A.D of the future spinner, looks great but still a way to go yet:
Disk Render (1).jpg
Disk Render (1).jpg (69.2 KiB) Viewed 8171 times
EDIT: Just thought i would mention that not everything on the robots will be 3D printed, there will be some hand fabricated pieces also
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Remember that Peter's boards are not commercially available, so can't be advertised to the "public".
... Unless you want to fund the 10's of thousands of pounds required for CE marking ;)
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

That disc is no where near big enough.
TEAM GEEK!
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

Small updates and things.
The event has been pushed back a few weeks for a variety or reasons, but is very much still going ahead.
For the last couple of months i have been working hard with Josh to make some really cool stuff, i have attached a render of the spinner robot so you can get a rough idea of what we have.
I also still need a arena/battlebox for the event. Dave is yours still available? Are there any pictures i can see?
Thanks for the advice previously, i know it looks like i have ignored your input but i am trying to incorporate a non-3d robot into the show so people get an idea of that side of the spectrum is like as well. I must also apologise for my absence recently, i am really busy with exams and things but hopefully i will be back on the scene soon.
Jack
Attachments
orr spinner finished.jpg
orr spinner finished.jpg (70.39 KiB) Viewed 8023 times
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
haz

Post by haz »

that makes me so happy. very nice design :)

if you need anything to kill/oponants let me know.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Jack,
Make-A-Bot now exists as a simple plug & play beginner-style robot for demonstrations. Goes together in about 5 mins, although it is a bit tricky talking coherently and building at the same time!
You're welcome to borrow it if you like.
Pictures & details: http://goo.gl/LUTjl
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

Hey guys,
Thanks for the feedback.
@Gary: That looks really cool! The show has changed somewhat - the idea originally was for me to build a robot on stage however it soon became apparent that due to time constraints i would be building a robot backstage and then reviling it onstage later in the show. You have given me another idea though, i shall keep you posted and most definitely contact you if its needed.
@Harry: Been a while mate, glad to be back here. Actually some kind of "suicide bot" might be needed, have you got anything in mind? im in 2 minds as to whether i should use the flipper robot against the spinner and risk it being written off or have a separate robot altogether. Will keep you posted also.
@Josh: Connectors ordered, invoice in my dads hands pending payment. Cheers again for all the help.

One more CAD to go before you guys get a "sneak peak" of the completed thing. Will keep you posted.
Jack
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
haz

Post by haz »

probably got enough bits spare to make a robot you can total with nasty spinny things if needed, you tell me what you want and i'll see what i can do about it
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

And heres the two side by side, thanks Josh!
jackpair.jpg
jackpair.jpg (82.97 KiB) Viewed 7425 times
orrpair.jpg
orrpair.jpg (73.63 KiB) Viewed 7425 times
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

And here they are. Photo doesn't really do them justice, they look great!
robots.jpg
robots.jpg (48.59 KiB) Viewed 7347 times
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics