Rc cars

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Pugster2002

Rc cars

Post by Pugster2002 »

Are you allowed To make ant weights andfleaweights from rc cars :-? 8)
Pugster is 9 years old and is autistic,he can be blunt and sometimes seems rude,but he's just to the point!!!please try to be clear when talking to him.his obsession is robot wars and pugs!!thanks guys(pugsters mum!!)
Shakey

Re: Rc cars

Post by Shakey »

Yes but in my experience they aren't good in antweight fighting simply because they lack the manueverability of most antweights which can turn on the spot, and they can lack power and speed needed.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Pugster2002

Post by Pugster2002 »

What if I replaced the motor in the car for a stronger servo would that work
Pugster is 9 years old and is autistic,he can be blunt and sometimes seems rude,but he's just to the point!!!please try to be clear when talking to him.his obsession is robot wars and pugs!!thanks guys(pugsters mum!!)
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

I think that traditional rc cars,with their steering front wheels,and driving back wheels,will always be at a disadvantage to the principal of tank steering robots,but I also think that the best ideas come out of experimenting with anything you can get your hands on.But most importantly,have fun! :)
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Personally I think there would be room for a good RC car style antweight - although using the car chassis would probably not cut the mustard - largely because with Ackerman steering you can have one big powerful motor at the back of the robot and be more or less guaranteed to run in a straight line and where you point the robot, which would give rammers and pushers a big speed, torque and control advantage. The big problem then is the turning circle, though, especially in ant arenas with dropoffs and a limited space, which is part of the problem I have with Spall (Spall being functionally useless being another large part of that XD)

I would like to see someone (more technologically gifted than me!) try a Doom Of Babylon (scroll down) or similarly designed antweight though, I think there would be the potential for it to do well :)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Craig did car steering with his mini Onslaught (which I think he called Stormin' Norman) but Peter put a spinner through the lipo :lol:
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Dave had one called Ziplock, which would have been fine had it not been in Olivers smaller arena and me driving it :P
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Ziplock was doing well til you drove it off the edge. lol. It was just an RC Car though, I didn't modify the drive system in any way, or build it myself.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Pugster2002

Post by Pugster2002 »

I've made a beetle weight from a rc car Image
Name:riot
Power:motor
Armour:2mm thick steel
Weapon:spinner
Weight:438grams