Lipo-Battery failures?

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Shakey

Lipo-Battery failures?

Post by Shakey »

I was sitting down watching Tv about 5 minutes ago when I heard a strange sound coming from my robot. After investigating it seems my Lipo battery died. but here is the thing that gets me... everything was switched off and the battery wasn't fully charged or dangerously low.

It didn't do the typical explosion more puffed up with a gargling foamy sound and a smell similar to a silly string can.

Does anyone know what would cause a lipo battery to do so.

Also note that the battery is now sitting outside the house for safety (don't really have any experience with lipo failing).
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
nyditch

Post by nyditch »

I;ve seen some lipo batteries fail a while after use. One took a few hours. If the battery was stressed too much, it can cause some minor internal damage, which will eventually give way to lipo failure. Usually when they puff, they don't blow up. In fact, 90% of lipo failures I've seen have been just puffing and they never start venting or smoking.

Proper disposal of a lipo:

1: Get a small bucket
2: Fill the small bucket with water (for a small battery, a half gallon is plenty)
3: Mix in a good amount of salt (maybe 1/4 cup per gallon)
4: Put the battery in and keep the bucket outside or in the garage. (Make sure the terminals are exposed)
5: Keep it there for 2 weeks.
6: Dump bucket and throw the battery in the regular trash. (LiPo batteries have no environmentally hazardous materials and are landfill safe)

Also, if one cell on a pack failed, you can de-solder the bad cell and keep the rest. It's very common for only one to fail and the rest be fine.

As long as you don't keep the battery in or near possibly flammable stuff, you're fine. Y'know, just to be on the safe side. Chances are nothing will happen.
Team Misfit, California, USA
One of those crazy Americans.