first ant spinner

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

starter ant

Post by starter ant »

are you saying that i can attatch a blade to any brushless motor or do I need a motor with a casing that spins.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

There are 2 main types of brushless motors, outrunners (which are the ones that have a casing that rotates) and inrunners. Both of these have rotating shafts as well, so if you are using an outrunner, you can choose to mount it either way. The majority of antweight spinners choose to use outrunners because they generally have a lower RPM range (which ends up being more suitable) and the shape of them is generally easier to fit into designs.

However, helpful advice aside, I concur with the other people in this thread with a recommendation that you do not have your first foray into combat robotics with a spinner. It is a lot more complex than you think - there are a huge amount of factors to consider apart from just getting a disk/blade onto a motor and putting it somewhere on your robot. Spinning weapons create huge gyroscopic forces, meaning a solid design and drive system is needed to stop it from completely rendering your robot useless. Also, imagine you hit another robot and it throws them 30cm in the air; The same amount of force is directed back into your robot and down into the floor as well. You need a very strong chassis otherwise your disk will bend down, hit the floor, and you will either break yourself or go flying out.

If you are determined to still try a spinner then we're all happy to give advice, but I implore you to start with something simple like a pusher or a lifter and work up from there. I've been doing ants for years and I've only just managed to make a spinner that works how it's supposed too and doesn't destroy itelf.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Just to give some clearity on what ways there are to mount a disk/blade, it is always best to present in pictures:

Mount on the motor shaft
Randar uses a propeller adapter to mount his disk. The adapter comes with the motor is most cases.

Mount on the motor
Katjuscha has a very tight fit between the disk and motor, but puts the motor and weapon in the center.
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Critters

Post by Critters »

Flippt is right, if you look at some antweight battle vids. Like the AWS, most of the time the spinner sends both the enemy and them selfs out. These things are so light, that 3000 rpm blade that is 10g it alot of force. Newton's 3rd law, For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

We're not trying to scare you away from a spinner we're just saying your in for a tough learning experience, if your up to it :)