Assistance needed!

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

razerdave

Assistance needed!

Post by razerdave »

Hi guys

After rebuilding Baby Hell after AWS 19, I realised the servos need speed modding as well, however, in an attemp to do this myself, I messed up the servos, so I was wondering if anyone is able to 360/speed mod my new pico servos before I wreck them. Also, I have a pair of S3003 servos for my super ant that also require the same treatment, and one other thing, I obtained a motor with a small transmission attached from a RC flying saucer (Don't ask), and I would very much like to use that motor and gears to run a spinning weapon on my Super, however, due to the way the output is I don't know where to start putting a disc/saw on it, so if anyone can help me, I'd appreaciate it, and also, any advice on motor controllers for AW's so that I can operate it would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

I would highly recommend against speed modding picos, unless you have tiny wheels (and I mean tiny) you're gonna have way too much speed and no torque whatsoever. About connecting the disk onto the shaft of the motor you've got, unless it already has a hub of some kind on it which you could just bolt the disk directly onto, you will need a hub made (i.e., you need someone with a lathe) to attach the disk onto.

Also, you ask about motor controllers, are you talking about for drive or weapon? Is it brushless/not? How big is the motor, and what voltage are you running it on? etc etc.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

That's crazy, I used the motor/gearbox assembly from an RC flying saucer in my robot Bonesaw to make a spinning saw....it was awful, but hey, made a great noise!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Doesn't Tim use Pico servos on DBA? They seem to work fine on that. But then again, what doesn't? You will be seriously lacking pushing power, but if you have a big disc who cares? :P As for doing the actual mod, I wouldn't like to say. Can you get a picture of the gears from this one posted? I've always fancied trying picos but was always a bit put off by how small they were.

As for the S3003s, they are really easy to speed mod. You just need the right glue. But if you don't want to give it a go, and want someone else to do it, let me know. As long as you cover postage and the Uber plastics glue needed to make it stable.

As for the motor, Scott is right, having a lathe to knock up a hub would be great. However, I don't have one, so I always just use prop adapters. They fit over the shaft of a motor and you can bolt your discs onto them. A little heavier, but almost idiot proof.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Hi guys

Duff, I would like very much for you to mod my s3003, I'll cover postage and I'll send you my loctite with it. As for the pico servos, I think Tim's picos are running on a higher voltage, hence they go faster, after using the ones that were just 360 modded, they went far too slow for me to be competitive, I need something a lot quicker, but not as quick as F.I.N because that issues control problems (I'm sure dave and all attendee's at AWS 19 will confirm that). As for the disc, I wasn't intending for it to do major damage, just send up a few sparks from Ant trap or rip up the card covering Super-pants, I think it can do that with the speed it goes, but as I don't have a lathe, I'll have to get someone to make a hub. Also, I dunno if the motor is brushless or not, and the controller is for a weapon. Below is a pictue of the inside of my picos, and another of the propeller unit:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f113/ ... its003.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f113/ ... its004.jpg
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Yup, thats the exact same propellar unit I used, except I didn't use the gears and replaced the motor with a big, ugly gold thing
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Hi guys, I need some more help. After doing a test run with FIN, he seems to be havin interferance trouble, its fine when it goes one way, but when I tried to put it in reverse it stopped, but I picked it up and put it closer to the TX and it was fine. I am not sure if this has something to do with the fact my receiver is on top of my battery pack now (I took out the switch and the battery pack had to be put in the middle of the robot to make it balance, but thats also wher the receiver goes)

Any suggestions ?
josh

Post by josh »

if ur tx rx or crystals r a different make to the others then u maybe will have to put ur ariel up in the air or wound round a bobbin
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
petec

Post by petec »

Sounds more like a gearbox problem with the servos. Sometimes the gear teeth get bent in one direction. When you try to go the other direction, they don't want to turn....
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Hi everyone

After the fiasco at AWS 20 with my robots, I had a tinker, and I have FIN working, but not stewie or Baby Hell. Now, Stewie I can fix, but Baby Hell is very problematic. At first, at the event, the servo on the right did not work. Tested it later, worked fine :-? . So, I did some more tinkering because the wheels barely touched the floor, and how, in testing it, the servos are responding, but not by much, and also the axe is constantly randomly firing whether I activate channel 1, 2 or 3, so I am wondering if someone can take Baby Hell into their workshop and find out what the hell is wrong with it.

Any voulenteers ?