Crusher, why not?

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Henwilled Antweight team

Re: Crusher, why not?

Post by Henwilled Antweight team »

Just wondering what the crushing mechanism is going to be, is it a lead screw that's connected to the crushing jaw on a bearing? Looks really nice so far.
Lowtech

Post by Lowtech »

Henwilled Antweight team wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:20 pm Just wondering what the crushing mechanism is going to be, is it a lead screw that's connected to the crushing jaw on a bearing? Looks really nice so far.
The claw is mounted to a shaft that runs between the gap formed by the two metal plates. The shaft is supported by two bearings on either side.
Firestorm-in-a-teacup (2WD front hinged flipper)
Hydrant (4WD crusher) (in progress)
Fasthippy

Post by Fasthippy »

I found a video for a small but powerful lifter.. do something like this but backward :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY7pwm2blig
Lowtech

Post by Lowtech »

It will not get much better than this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti4sE5x ... mbatechist
haz

Post by haz »

Are the bands to preload the claw and give it more downforce? Neat idea - I thought about doing the same with springs on mine but I still have to stop the disintegration of the drive gears first.

Looks like it drives really well with something grabbed and the front off the ground too!
Lowtech

Post by Lowtech »

haz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:54 pm Are the bands to preload the claw and give it more downforce? Neat idea - I thought about doing the same with springs on mine but I still have to stop the disintegration of the drive gears first.

Looks like it drives really well with something grabbed and the front off the ground too!
There's a tricky balance to draw in my view.
The claw is falling short of the 5kgs I calculated so the elastic definitely helps in the way you describe.
However, the strain on the motor during the retraction phase is significant.
The effectiveness of the wedge is also decreased, because it was not designed to work this way.
Finding the correct rubber band seems important.
Thank you.

If your drive gears are breaking, I dread to think of the forces you must be capable of generating.