ESC with built-in receiver - interesting?

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

MarkR

ESC with built-in receiver - interesting?

Post by MarkR »

I've been trying to develop a ESC with built-in receiver. (Or is it a receiver with built-in ESC?)

If I could build something like this, would anyone be interested? In particular, would you pay money to buy one or two?

* Radio protocol - AFHDS2A - compatible with the popular FS-i6 transmitter and some others
* ESC: 3 channels brushed, 1.5A max (I will need to check that) - suitable for driving 1 N20 motor (any spec) or 2 less powerful ones, maybe
* Battery: 1-2S lipo, approx 3.6V to 8.4V
* Bonus: (possibly) one channel servo output in addition to 3
* SIZE: about 20x30 mm ; thickness - more than I'd like, about 8mm because of a huge crystal on the radio module.
* Weight: will be around 4g without wires

I think this makes it quite useful for Ants, perhaps Fleas too.

I will open source the design, firmware and BOM, but it is likely that it will be tricky to assemble by hand. If enough people are interested I can try to get them made in China and sell on Tindie, Etsy or something.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Kyro

Re: ESC with built-in receiver - interesting?

Post by Kyro »

if they were guaranteed to take 2 n20's per channel i would definitely be interested.
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

MarkR wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:42 pm I've been trying to develop a ESC with built-in receiver. (Or is it a receiver with built-in ESC?)

If I could build something like this, would anyone be interested? In particular, would you pay money to buy one or two?

* Radio protocol - AFHDS2A - compatible with the popular FS-i6 transmitter and some others
* ESC: 3 channels brushed, 1.5A max (I will need to check that) - suitable for driving 1 N20 motor (any spec) or 2 less powerful ones, maybe
* Battery: 1-2S lipo, approx 3.6V to 8.4V
* Bonus: (possibly) one channel servo output in addition to 3
* SIZE: about 20x30 mm ; thickness - more than I'd like, about 8mm because of a huge crystal on the radio module.
* Weight: will be around 4g without wires

I think this makes it quite useful for Ants, perhaps Fleas too.

I will open source the design, firmware and BOM, but it is likely that it will be tricky to assemble by hand. If enough people are interested I can try to get them made in China and sell on Tindie, Etsy or something.
I would be interested in one. Just to support you if nothing else.

It would have motor brake, yes?

If you did get them made in China could they get the weight/size down?

I also support the more than one motor per channel idea.
Henwilled Antweight team

Post by Henwilled Antweight team »

I would be interested if it could power 2 N20 and have a separate radio channel for a weapon.
I would also buy a standard ESC that would replace the dasmikro in weight
James Williams

Post by James Williams »

I would be interested as well. Am not fussed about 1 or 2 N20's personally, 3 channels & a receiver for less than 5g sounds great! (Although I might have to improve my soldering first).
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Oh yes - I will make all power connections (battery + motors) be pin-through-hole or wire-through-hole, with nice big holes (1mm) and big annular rings to allow lots of nice solder to flow on them. I hate soldering wires to tiny delicate pads, that's what always breaks the Dasmikros. (In current design, the servo connection is a surface pad due to space constraints)
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

MarkR wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:14 pm Oh yes - I will make all power connections (battery + motors) be pin-through-hole or wire-through-hole, with nice big holes (1mm) and big annular rings to allow lots of nice solder to flow on them. I hate soldering wires to tiny delicate pads, that's what always breaks the Dasmikros. (In current design, the servo connection is a surface pad due to space constraints)
I'm really glad you are doing this Mark! Even if you only produce a few, and I think you can find a good market for these, your efforts will show that anyone can do this if they want and it will spur more people to do it later on. I'm excited for this. Just hope you can ship one to me in the US!
Tufty

Post by Tufty »

I'd certainly be interested in buying some, it sounds like an extremely useful bit of kit for ants! Now to learn to build ones that don't fall apart in testing... :lol:
Current active ants: Scrooge McDerp | Ply-By-Wire (likely not to see competition) | Grinding Nemo | When Unicorns Go Rogue
barryg

Post by barryg »

Id be interested, dependent on price.
Currently an rx and esc separately would be around £15. I get there is a mass advantage, and specific application so i expect more than this, but i think i would struggle to justify significantly more than this.
Any idea of price point?
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Agreed, I don't think a sale price of > £15 would be useful.

I won't be trying to make them unless I can get it <= £15

The BOM cost is, needless to say, significantly lower than that, it's just the costs of assembly and all other things that I am worried about. (Duty/ tax, shipping, packing, loss due to yield problems)