jes's build log

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

jes

Re: jes's build log

Post by jes »

I wasn't planning to put any acetate on the wedge, no.

It comes to a relatively sharp point already, will just have to see how it goes.

For reference, the layer lines in the print are 0.2mm.

jes

Post by jes »

And update on the controller: I've fitted a DPDT switch and I can now just flick the switch when the robot is upside down, and then it drives the same as when it's the right way up.

I decided to keep all of the existing controls and just stick it on the top surface of the controller. It's a bit of a tight fit against the back of the "VrB" knob, but it's fine. And on the outside the protrusion stays within the convex hull of all the existing protrustions so there's not much danger of it getting damaged in transport.

Thanks razerdave for the tip!

jes

Post by jes »

Final update: I've spray painted a logo on to one side so that I can easily identify when it's upside down:

And, it was weighing in at 151g. Maybe that's close enough to be arguable, but I'd rather be strictly under the limit, and I certainly don't want to be forced to start hacking bits off it at the start of the event.

The nuts I've used are 5mm tall PCB standoffs, and they add a combined mass of 3g to the robot (as pictured). I spent 15 minutes carefully grinding these down on the bench grinder and managed to reduce them to a combined 1.5g (not pictured), so the robot is now nicely underweight and I'm completely ready for AntFreeze :)
Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

Looks good, can't wait to see it in the flesh! If you needed to save a little bit of extra weight, I might have suggested replacing the metal bolts and nuts with nylon types but I doubt they would have saved you the 1.5g needed.
Team Kaizen

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
FW: Azriel
MW: Jibril, Kaizen
jes

Post by jes »

Ah, that's a good idea. Note that the nuts alone were 3g before. I think replacing the nuts and bolts with nylon equivalents would save even more.

I've also been pointed to this 1-gram receiver: https://www.banggood.com/2_4G-8CH-D8-Mi ... 40478.html

It's not compatible with my radio unfortunately, but certainly worth looking into. My current receiver weighs 9 grams.
Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

I would possibly look at this (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/orangerx-r6 ... opter.html). I think this was the type of receiver used in the NanoTwo but I could very well be wrong (most likely - anyone able to clarify that?). Seems to be about the same weight as the receiver you linked to.
Team Kaizen

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
FW: Azriel
MW: Jibril, Kaizen
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

flysky fs2a receiver... compatible with your transmitter, and weighs less than 1g if you dont solder the pins onto it and just direct solder to it...

cheap as chips, take direct 2s voltage and tiny footprint...

i could find you a link if you cant find them but they are available on ebay for around £6 each
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
jes

Post by jes »

Oh wow, the FS-2a looks perfect, thanks. I've ordered a couple now.
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Luke, I'm looking at the FS-2a and it claims to be 4 channel, but doesn't look like it has an aux? How do you bind it? Or does the FLysky protocol work differently to DSM2?
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

you press the little button on it and power on and that puts it in bind mode...

that same button when long pressed with it already powered on also sets the failsafe... it "remembers" which position the tx was at when you set the failsafe and defaults to this if signal is lost...
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)