Team Rocket, Updates and Reports

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Kyro

Team Rocket, Updates and Reports

Post by Kyro »

:roll: i notice there is no "introduce yourself" thread here so figured i would introduce myself here.

im luke from the outskirts of north london.

i was always a fan of radio controlled stuff.
i grew up watching robot wars and loved it (die hard razer fan) and i was lucky enough to live in the town it was filmed at for a time. so i went to see it religiously. even walked away with a piece of razer (one of the front wheels was broken in a fight and simon broke it up and signed it for people)

i turned many rc cars into crude "fighting robots"

fast forward to now and im making my first antweight... im liturally just waiting on wheels to arrive now before i put it all together.

im using a dual 2-3s 5a esc with a flysky rx and a flysky pistol grip tx.

i built a little test rig which is basically an acetate wedge with the motors and wheels from a little hexbug matilda (i will post a pic as soon as i have taken one)

my n20 motors arrived today. i went with 6v 400rpm running on said esc and rx using a nanotech 180mah 2s cell.

decided to go with a 4wd pusher made from carbon fibre which is currently weighing in at 136g (minus wheels and a bit of hardware) so whatever is left will be either some steel armour or maybe a servo powered scoop... we will see... i have the parts to build 2 bots and was thinking of my second being a 2wd dustpan grabber type contraption... dead metal style claws but with possibly a 3rd that comes from above... again its all just thoughts at the moment...
i will post pics of my progress so far and of the parts i have...
i plan on keeping this thread updated as i go through my build so enjoy and feel free to question everything...

pics to follow
Last edited by Kyro on Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
Kyro

Re: hello

Post by Kyro »

test rig

motors/mounts

carbon fibre body thus far

decided on the name 187...
body needs much more work as its just a shell... needs wheel holes (will be invertible) and generally tidying up...

its actually 2 pieces, a bottom and rear wedge and a top, sides and front wedge... which i plan to have hinged at the back and screwed together at the front if weight permits... i will need a hole to acess the power switch without unscrewing it which should also double up as a hole for the power light to shine through following the antweight rules. it is roughly 95x95x31mm although after adding some acetate to the edges of the wedges (that rolls of the tongue quite nicely) it will probably be a little longer.

if i cant get a servo scoop in it, im considering a vibration motor for the purpose of vibrating myself down off a wall if i become stuck there... sides are curved so i shouldnt end up stuck there, front and rear are the same if inverted so no backwards controls and no loss of wedge. the wheels should stick out the top of the wedge a little so even if someone gets under me, i should still be able to get traction... steep wedge to hopefully deflect some of them crazy spinners... but, i bet after all of this planning someone will make me discover a fault with the design... but that merely means i can improve it for next time...

i will update as and when necessary...

lastly, when and where are the next events taking place? the events tab appears to not have been updated for a while. i know of one event in stevenage in september which is near me so i will likely be attending.

but something nearer now is prefered as id like to get my bot schooled asap so i can be more experienced in sweeping up little bits of carbon fibre and n20 motors.

thanks for reading
Last edited by Kyro on Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
TeamScrewUp

Post by TeamScrewUp »

Great to have you here!

I can't wait to see how this turns out. What are your plans for your first event?
Daaa
Manta ray (2WD wedge bot)
Nom (Grabber)
Arena Sweeper (Undercutter)
FORCE WALL (Front-hinged Flipper)
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Check out the threads on the events page for Ant Freeze 6 and AWS 57. Both are in February so maybe one of those could work for you. There will probably be half a dozen or more through the year scattered around the country.

Sounds like you got a good background for it with RC stuff and can jump right in ☺
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

thanks, my plans for my first event is to go, get to know people. learn some things then my bot can kill or be killed.

i should hopefully have something antweight to bring along by februrary... maybe 2 if i get enough time... but i figure, i will come along even if i dont get mine up and running in time and covertly steal all the best ideas and implement them into my bot... (our little secret)

i figure the 2nd of feb might be a slight push to have one running but il try my best, the one later on in februrary shouldn't be a problem...

weirdly enough, maps tells me both are 1h47 away from me which is not too far to travel at all...

i hope my wheels arrive soon so i can crank out a bot or 2 in time for ant freeze... even if its made of cardboard, duct tape and chewing gum, i should hopefully have something to chuck in the arena...
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

so, today my wheels arrived...

decided to start building the chassis for 187...
then built a 4x4x4 box from foam then i got a little carried away and got started on another bot...

i used both a miniature heroes tub and a roses tub and have created Dusty... dusty is a dustpan grabber bot. about 5 inches wide but fits with space to spare diagonally inside my cube.

i think i will make the weapon interchangable... a grab arm and a flipper.

currently, dusty weighs 104.86 grams which gives me a decent bit of weight left over for the arm/flipper and armour

187 however currently weighs 151 grams with the shell although i still need to make the cutouts for the wheels and do some light trimmimg on the main chassis and the spaghetti of wires inside so i should be good on weight when finished.

testing so far has been successful, although im not massively happy with how my esc's react when battery dies... no warning, just spins on the spot for 2 seconds then disconnects. this shouldn't be a problem providing i keep my lipo's topped up...

i should hopefully have both bots completed tomorrow, then its just the 4 day wait for my lipo bag and i should hopefully make antfreeze providing theres no snow (i ride a motorbike which is not the safest mode of transport when its slippery out) if not i will have to try sweet talking the mrs into bringing me down in the car...

now, pictures... the arm on dusty is a placeholder until i can get a better one put together with more grab and another with more flip (im not expecting huge power from the mg90 but it has enough power to self right which is what matters most)

one last question... how important is an on/off switch? i have one wired into 187, but dusty doesn't have one. is just connecting and disconnecting the lipo sufficient? if it is, is there a certian access needed to the lipo in a given amount of time? ie i can unplug it, but need to remove x amount of screws first... thanks in advance

Luke
Last edited by Kyro on Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Looking good, I particularly like the carbon fibre chassis.

With regards to the switch, you need to be able to cut the power easily without tools, so unplugging the lipo is OK, as long as it is accessible without undoing any screws etc.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

thanks for the reply, i guess being able to bend the cover open on dusty is a good thing then... well, until another bot opens it up for me during a match...

i actually made 2 of the carbon fibre shells so i have 1 spare for when the first gets destroyed... both still need a fair bit of tidying up... sanding and refinishing the surfaces as you can see the cling film print on the surface along with the slightly thicker parts on the corners where it overlaps... waiting until it's fitted before tidying it up...

this no tools rule for the battery... i was planning on having a hole through which i can get a screwdriver in to switch the switch on and off... is this ok or would i need to relocate the switch so it can be got to with fingers?
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

The RAW (that I've found at any rate) state "2c) Robots must have an externally accessible way of being shut down (e.g. a power switch, removable link or battery plug)."
I... I know having the switch hidden from spinners / your opponent decreases the chance of it getting switched mid-combat, but I'd still hazard on the side of tools-free. The switch I'm looking at doing on Jiggy is practically flush with the exterior of the bot (I cut off the excess plastic) so there should be reduced chance of a robot flipping it, but a finger with it's squishy grippyness has no problem.
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

While not explicitly stated in the current rules, it does definitely need to be accessible with hands only.

I wouldn't worry about it getting switched off in combat though, it basically never happens.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker