Harry Makes Ants

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

haz

Harry Makes Ants

Post by haz »

Yo. It me.

Antweights have moved along a lot in my semi legit hiatus. I'm glad to see there are so many people doing cool things still. I'm going to try and catch up and drag myself (and the amazing Mr Blunden) to an AWS.

Anyone who follows my Facebook drivel will know I've pumped out a couple of critters in the last few months after the inclination and drive for larger, more complicated (expensive!) robots dwindled.

Going to try and keep updates here as well because I rather miss forums :)

LOADER was my first toe-dip back into the waters of antweights. A relatively boring pusher with silicone tracks (hair bands) A printed frame and a 1.2mm titanium wedge.

I tried to get this to one of the last few AWS's but life happened and it got thrown at Joey to run as a rail replacement bus robot service.

You can see a video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow2AVVfpsCo

Next up is a strange ghetto replica of hypnodisc. I'm not sure why this came to be exactly. I think I had an excess of bevel gears and 2mm bearings and this was the next logical step.

It's pretty much done except for getting a metal disc cut which will be done when funds allow. Hugely underweight, its only 107g!

Next up is me trying to have a go at something that has long since been a goal. Pneumatic. I went for the simplest system I could find with as much off the shelf components. Sacrificing shape and weight for stuff that would just work Luckily, that paid off and I have a very reliable system with zero leaks. Flow rate is okay. Retract is good. Only problem is its ugly as all sin! :( I will be taking what I learned from this and moving on to a whole new scratch build with slightly more custom parts.

Still need to do some armour for it. 1mm hdpe bent and folded is about all I have weight for!

Test video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUiWzbGxoDY

Hope to actually keep this page updated with antweight stuffs, thanks for reading :)
Roboteernat

Re: Harry Makes Ants

Post by Roboteernat »

Nice pneumatics,

Are you using the small SMC pneumatic switch?
Some projects done: Wirelessly controlled mechanical hand/arm
Heavyweight: Short Circuit
Antweight robot : Locking wheel nuts, dell-apidated bANTtry...
Featherweight : Wanna Choppa, CASPer
Check out http://www.Roboteernat.co.uk for more details
haz

Post by haz »

Thanks, and yes I am using the SMC VM1000 and I am very impressed with it.
Bad Wolf

Post by Bad Wolf »

Some really Great builds! nice! The height your getting in that test video is insane! In my head that's how my flipper is.... hahaha Sadly its not in reality though hahaha

Bad Wolf
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

cor - Loader is styyyyyylish! 8)

also, Hobgoblin was my son's favourite bot in RW.
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
haz

Post by haz »

Thanks guys!

I'd been having some problems with stiff retracts. What used to be a snap shut was a slow pained series of events. Everything mechanically seemed free and the silicone bands still had spring. Ended up stripping and re greasing the ram and it seems much better since.

^^ the setup out of the robot for anyone interested!

After a couple of attempts at armouring it was going to be way too flimsy for combat, even for a sacrificial first attempt. I ended up swapping out the 35ml tank for a 20ml one. I'll take the hit on flips for the benefit of actual armour not just pish and hope - also lets me chop the frame by 20mm! An updated one is printing as I type :)

The smaller tanks are ones I had ordered for my second go at pneumatics so it is maybe a good thing to trial them in this bot. I have also found a much nicer servo to actuate the valve, physically smaller and with metal gears. Bonus!

haha Voorsk, then I feel I must apologise to your son for my naff performance! If you're interested files to make your own Hobgoblin can be found here
Bad Wolf

Post by Bad Wolf »

haz wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:05 pm Thanks guys!

I'd been having some problems with stiff retracts.
Dont worry about it Mate, weve all been there :p hahaha

I don't know if its a son thing, but my son as well loved Hobgoblin!! As did I, so im proper happy those Files are there! Blew me away!! Just need a 3d printer now hahaha :p

Bad Wolf
haz

Post by haz »

So I got the new air tanks and frame sorted for the flipper.

Stay cool peeps 8) Grand total of 50 pence and having a silly message and being 22mm diameter - I cannot complain at all!
I ended up re plumbing it as well as the tube for the ram was a bit too short and was strained and restricting flow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGvXOxiB6eU

Less flips overall but its comfortably in weight now with its 1mm polycarbonate dust covers and performance is about the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK_g8wm0pWA

Still self rights pretty good!
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

The flipper looks great, and that eggbeater lurking in the corner of the first picture looks pretty menacing too!
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
haz

Post by haz »

Hey all,

General update. I've gone back to the drawing board for armour on the pneumatic thing for now as I really wasn't satisfied with the quality and strength. I may end up just biting the bullet and printing another frame (when I can be bothered to change all the components over and reroute wires and piping)

I had a order of steel cutting come in and It contained these rather snazzy discs for my Hypnodisc replica ant

I'm quite pleased with them. The tooth ring weighs 29g and the total weight of the spinning mass (inc hub, motor can, screws) is 46g

I also got some vertical discs made for a semi commission antweight. These are just a press fit + epoxy over a motor can.