Mark's Antweight build

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

MarkR

Re: Mark's Antweight build

Post by MarkR »

This is Penelope.

She needs to go on a diet. Quickly.

Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
joebrown

Post by joebrown »

I love it!
Hammerbots rule :)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Penelope has successfully lost weight, and also acquired a newly machined,very sharp axe (NB: I am very bad at metalwork, especially small pieces)

I now have two weapons (one spare) and did some last minute firmware updates this evening:

We now have an auto-repeating axe weapon option in the speed controller :)

Will it make weight? Very possibly, it depends on how accurate my scales are. Reading somewhere between 149 and 150 grams earlier. I added a tiny bit of epoxy since then. I can always get a knife and trim a few bits of plastic as a last resort.

PS: Banana for snack, not for scale.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Update after AWS60:

Penelope

Penelope was a disaster. It worked ok at the beginning of the day, but was immediately drawn against brutal vertical spinner "Cosmic Burger Van".

I went straight for Burger Van, and hit it as hard as possible with the axe. The axe was immediately destroyed.

So I then went in again a few times, and it ripped lots of PLA from the chassis, broke the drive and threw me in the pit.

This was a nontrivial repair. However, I managed to avoid losing any significant internal components. I repaired the front with bits of spare plastic and tied the motors in with cable ties. This appeared to vaguely work.

Due to an administrative error, Penelope's second fight was actually faught by Stacie (against Pneumatic-something) and lost. But I doubt the real Penelope would do any better. (NB: Administrative cock-up, Penelope was registered as Betsie)

However, with Penelope repaired and working again, I charged into the first melee, only to be brutally trashed by another spinner (immediately). This time a drive motor was destroyed.

Stacie

Stacie started off a lot better, with several wins.

I then dived into the pit to avoid a nasty looking vertical spinner (sorry for being a coward.

Unfortunately, things got a lot worse, when it was drawn against "Test Robot, please ignore".

Test robot obliterated the flipper with its first hit, then wrecked the front lights (no glow-in-the-dark melee for Stacie), front wedge, and trashed the front drive.

---

So that's it, two robots, totally broken.

---

But looking at the damage, it's mostly cosmetic, I think I only lost one motor after 4x spinner fights, I learned a lot (mostly from Kyro) about what materials are bad to go against spinners (well, I already knew PLA is not good vs spinners)

Fun was had, I will probably be taking a rethink over the break, and maybe come back with something interesting, or possibly not.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

I know that I'm cutting it fine... with time and weight.

Here is Penelope, better, stronger, errr, still in little pieces

She will be ready in time. Not much time for driving practice.