The adventures of an antweight robot building nerb

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Dazmund

Re: The adventures of an antweight robot building nerb

Post by Dazmund »

Well, it took a while, but I finally had time over the past week to finish up my robot. I didn't bother with epoxy in the end and used glue and double-sided tape to hold panels into place while I bolted them on. It's wonky, over-designed for a first robot, the soldering is bad and the internals are place a little slap-dash, but for a nerb, I'm pleased with it. Yes, I called it #ProjectIkeAnt, but I have christened it "Flipper The Priest". I will do a proper picture of Father Jack underneath the weapon and peel off the front cover when I get the chance to finish it.

DAZ DUZ BOTZ

Fili-PA (wedge flipper)
Watta Doze (tank tracked pusher)
Wolfhead (front wheel drive flipper)
2-2 Liftman (fork lifter)
The Ting Goes Grrrab (grabber/control)
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Looks awesome. Rugged and raw is the best look. If you have some spare grams maybe protect those wheels from spinners
Dazmund

Post by Dazmund »

Cheers Paul. I am around 10-15 grams underweight, but I won't bother putting wheel protection for now as it has been too much of a faff to put this thing together! Too much time to make little adjustments right now and I'll have to learn to keep my front end facing my opponents. Besides, I'm not entering any events yet unless they are a little closer to London... and when I get round to building another one!
DAZ DUZ BOTZ

Fili-PA (wedge flipper)
Dazmund

Post by Dazmund »

It's been 4 months since I posted anything here, but Flipper the Priest was finally completed last month.

After sorting out the soldering (because I didn't have the time to do it since the last post) it's now properly working, though it can be a temperamental thing - much like how Father Jack Hackett was! It's not the quickest, or has the most powerful flip, but it does the job and is still good for a first try. This, along with the Hexbug toys, make great entertainment for kids, young people and those with autism - I work with them in my regular jobs. Expect a blog post or two along with a video of Flipper the Priest real soon.

Now, my next intended robot will be fairly basic and easier to build in comparison. It'll be made with a Zumo tracked chassis, a polycarbonate front plow and will use DasMikro speed controller. I'll be looking around for tips on that ESC in this forum, and anticipate it melting upon some use...
DAZ DUZ BOTZ

Fili-PA (wedge flipper)
Dazmund

Post by Dazmund »

I've got the parts for building my next robot called Watta Doze, and it's simply a Pololu Zumo track-bot chassis with a static polycarbonate scoop. It should be a lot easier to put together than Flipper the Priest. I've got a transmitter and receiver (GoolRC TG3 3-channel), a 180mAh LiPo, 2 300rpm 6V motors... and a DasMikro 2s6a dual speed controller with mixing.

Now I'm once again going to need some help, especially since my soldering is so gammy at best and the last speed controller I used was the NanoTwo. I've got an idea of how to connect the motor and battery wires, but the terminals meant for the Futaba connectors for the receiver I have absolutely no clue about that. If there's anyone nice enough out there to give instructions or diagrams on how to hook those up, I'd be grateful!
DAZ DUZ BOTZ

Fili-PA (wedge flipper)
MySolderIsOlder

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

As you may have already noticed, there's a basic wiring diagram (annotated photograph) on the Banggood website's product page. For the servo leads, it doesn't help that the wire colour combinations vary from one pack to the next - but should be either Brown/Red/Orange or Black/Red/White. With the motor connectors on your right, you've got the two power-in connectors top left and the group of four pads to connect to the receiver lower left. Counting from the top, these are GND, VCC, Signal 1, Signal 2

1st servo lead
- Brown (or black) => GND
- Red => VCC
- Orange (or white) => Signal 1

2nd servo lead
- Brown AND Red => separate cut the leads right at the base of the plug. Remember - GND is shared across the whole circuit and the receiver only needs one +5v supply
- Orange => Signal 2

Sorry away from the workshop at mo so can't take photo but a thousand words is worth a picture....
As for the scary soldering, I found the key was a small tip on the soldering iron, a powerful magnifier (my eyes are shot so I ended up using an old long-arm stereo microscope) and something to rest the hand on. Get a good blob of solder on the pad first and tin the wires lightly

Hope that helps a little,
Stuart
Stuart (Tony's dad)
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

A handy image was posted by peter waller in a different thread: http://www.robotwars101.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2733&p=60312#p60299

(hope I got the link right - I have to access via the IP address, or else the work firewall blocks it)
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
Dazmund

Post by Dazmund »

After two years, I finally got back into antweight building. I bought a Pololu Zumo chassis and GoolRC TG3 pistol transmitter with receiver, and while I didn't get round to using the DasMikro ESC (and likely never will unless someone with steadier hands can solder for me), I got a Bristol Bot Builders ESC a month or so ago with faster 600rpm motors and finally finished Watta Doze.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHagTMcHd6d/

Is it competition-worthy? Perhaps. I could roll up to one - post-pandemic of course.

As for Flipper the Priest, it's going to get a new paint job, new internals and a new name. Stay tuned.
DAZ DUZ BOTZ

Fili-PA (wedge flipper)
Dazmund

Post by Dazmund »

Flipper The Priest has been upgraded, with 500RPM motors replacing the 300RPM ones, more thorough soldering on the wires and switches, a new paint job and even a new name. Flipper The Priest is no more (probably). Say hello to Fili-PA - a Filipino flag flipper, if you will.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIApOrhHt-T/

I have a third antweight in the works and should be ready by the new year. I'll howl when it's done.
DAZ DUZ BOTZ

Fili-PA (wedge flipper)
Dazmund

Post by Dazmund »

My third antweight is complete. Wolfhead has a Gartt servo flipping arm, runs on 500RPM motors on 20mm wheels, which doesn't make it fast, but pushes very well. Its speed controller and Flysky receiver were once again supplied by Bristol Bot Builders. Though its boxy shape and front wheel design makes it easy to get high-centred against wedges, I made it so it can hold up against horizontal spinners.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJBE-UynbO8/

I have one final antweight in the works, which I'm looking to finish in January.
DAZ DUZ BOTZ

Fili-PA (wedge flipper)