Help/Build diary for/of my first antweight.

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

Re: Help/Build diary for/of my first antweight.

Post by BeligerAnt »

What are the dimensions? Without some dimensions you could have any arbitrary answer but the angles wouldn't necessarily be what you wanted!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Puddle

Post by Puddle »

Yeah I realized that. I'm building a cardboard mockup to figure out the dimensions now. I just dived straight into the interesting weapons bit without knowing what size it was gonna be :oops: once I've got that and know where I'm gonna fit the motors and wheels I'll come back to the servo.
Harry
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

I really like the concept! , one thing I warn you of most as someone who has owned a front hinged flipper is that the if it is too shallow then the servo being the fattest thing has to end up right near the back, which means harder linkages and also having the servo where you want to drive motors to be, so you will have to carefully plan the angle and the placement of electronics inside. Good luck tho I really want to see this do well!
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
Puddle

Post by Puddle »

Ok so I've hit a semi snag in that I don't know how big the motors are. http://www.robotshop.com/uk/pololu-30-t ... ar-hp.html I found these which are the ones Rory's kit has right? but does the listed dimensions include the shaft or just the body of the motor?
Harry
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

I know they are 10mm x 12mm width and height and roughly 25mm long without shaft so that measurement includes the shaft which I believe to be 10mm long same as the wheel width
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
Puddle

Post by Puddle »

ok cool thanks, I ended up overcompensating and giving them too much space but that means that I might be able to fit the servo kinda inbetween the motors.
Harry
Puddle

Post by Puddle »

Ok, after some cardboard cannibalism and lots of small bits of tape I return with a half finished mockup of my chassis. I also build a 4" cube to make sure everything was going to fit. I couldn't find the dimensions for everything like speed controllers or the reciever but I did for the motors and servo which are the bulkiest bits from what I know. I've put a vertical bit on the servo to make sure it'd fit inside the wedge and then I wouldn't have to for the motors as they're shorter than the servo but further up the wedge than the servo. I had an Idea to have little fins near the front to act as a hinge with a rod or screw or something for the flipper but I don't quite know how I'll attach them to the rest of it yet. so far it all fits though and with a small bit of metal and some acetate at the front it looks like it'd get under things pretty well. the slope at the front of the cardboard is 30 degrees right now for anyone that's curious.

still to do is the top, the back and the flipper but it took me a while because I had to redo it a few times to get everything lining up nicely, and now I know the lengths of these bits when I get a polycarb sheet I can just draw the base and sides out as one piece and bend them into shape. there's some images below of it, please let me know what you think!

Harry
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I found this picture on Ebay and from a quick check it looks good.
The only slight thing is the two mounting holes shown as 1mm ID are in fact tapped M1.6 if you want to mount it that way.
Puddle

Post by Puddle »

Thanks Peter, I now have much more space in my bot as before I had just used the full mesurement. the thing with the holes shouldn't be an issue as I'm planning to use those motor mounts from rory's kits with holes in the bottom of the chassis to screw up into but thanks for letting me know!
Harry
Puddle

Post by Puddle »

Alright so I remade my mockup in sketchup because I couldn't bend the cardboard into a nice enough arc to fit correctly but now I'm wondering, How hard is it to get a nice curve out of polycarb? can I just bend it into shape or is it gonna break? should I just go for a straight edge rather than a rounded one?
Harry