New Robots

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I have just completed a walking mechanism that actually works. Its actually a shuffle bot with two shuffle plates on either side running on two dual cranshafts which are in turn driven by gears to maintain the timing. The plates go through both top and bottom so it is invertable. Initially the walking was fine at slow speed but when run faster it tended to bounce about rather than progress. I now have soft foam between the feet and the ground and it is greatly improved and almost the same speed militant. So far it weighs 111gms without the batteries which will add between 7 and 32 gms depending on what I use. The rest will go on armour and weapon and I am even considering a non spinning weapon this time. I will probable take it to Brighton on Saturday for the non fighting events it will be interesting to see how it goes against the rollers.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Slight change of plans on the walker I couldn't get the pincer mechanism in the space available so it looks like it going to have to be a spinner after all. I think I can get twin 30mm diameter 15 mm wide vertical discs/drums acting as a flipper/smasher on the front. Just hope its not too nose heavy or I might need to extend the walking mechanism.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Sounds scary Peter! Are you saying that it will be two seperate drums, each with their own motor, or just 2 halfs of a drum joined and powered at the center?
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

The plan is to use a motor with a shaft out either end. The discs/drums will be machined so they fit around the outside of the motor case with about a 8mm gap in the middle for the motor mounting. The drums would then have steel or titanium spikes fitted to it but as yet it is not fully designed.
Team Wanton Destruction

Post by Team Wanton Destruction »

I don't know if you remember me, but Im back with my ant, it is working fine.

I am trying to make a pneumatic flipper, I have an overweight (20g) oversized (components on outside) ant throwing stuff atound my desk.

I will see if I can get to Hobbystores this weekend.

Can anyone reccomend me some good drive servos that y'all use now? I think my beat up SD200s are outdated.

Also the newest batteries that don't exlplode and can't be overcharged. (I left my NiMH on for about a week once)
<a href="http://www.wanton-destruction.com-1.net">www.wanton-destruction.com-1.net</a> - Robots are just the beginning.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

I use speed modded Pico servos, very fast, and light to (about 6g I think), although of course once they've been speed modded you don't get too much torque out of them. Another option is to speed mod your SD200's (if you want to do this, I'll send you the diagrams of how I've done mine, 'cause the other ones on this board are unreliable and difficult). I used them in the first version of Void, and it gace me quite a reasonable speed at quite a reasonable torque. Another option is to use Naro HP's, which is (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) what MilitANT and some other bots use, which give quite good speed, as long as you have big enough wheels, and quite decent torque aswell, and they're 9g.

These are all ones I'e used in the past, but I'm sure theres more that would be suitable, best just to check around and see what everyone else is using.
Team Wanton Destruction

Could you send me those plans?? Taht'd be great.

Thanks for the advice, iwll be sure to enquire at hobbystores about the servos you suggested, they seem good.

What sort of equipment am I going to have to steal from my dad to hack the SDs?? :razz:
Antidote

Post by Antidote »

i use pic0s but
and i add on 6v they melt.. as i have found out
4.8 is fine but no more
if you want picos and i do recomend them as of their weight etc the speed hack is a 30 seocnd mod and can be found here:
http://www27.brinkster.com/teamspark/hsp/
Team Wanton Destruction

hmmm, that looks interesting thanks, if the mod with my SDs doesn't go well (Im a disaster of engineering)(new bots name BTW)I will go for the picos. How much do they cost and whats the torque like when hacked??
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

I've added you onto my MSN, if you come online I'll send you the plans for speed modding the SD200's :smile: as for the picos, they cost ?17.50 from SMC, but I get them from a local model shop for ?15. As for the torque, I'm afraid I don't know, and I cant test it because my Picos had the gears stripped in AWS12 and I havn't bought any new ones yet.