Bandit's Bot-Building Bonanza

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

UserFriendly

Re: Bandit's Bot-Building Blog

Post by UserFriendly »

Looks great Luke! What weapon servo are you using?
Andy B - Team UserFriendly
Reading Cybernetics Graduate 1996
Trying not to take Antweights too seriously. I think I'm failing.
First AWS was 46.
Tashic

Post by Tashic »

Very cool, reminds me of a robot I made years ago.
How are the polycarbonate panels attached to the 3d printed body?
bot_bandit

Post by bot_bandit »

Thanks again guys. The panels are a pretty snug fit and pretty much stay on their own however I used epoxy glue to fix them in place. Most other glues corrode polycarbonate over time. The servo was the one Rory lists as the recommended servo on the NanoTwo fact sheet. It's a Turnigy. I can't remember exactly though sorry. Also apparently you guys can get money off on your 3D printing if you use my link? http://3dhubs.refr.cc/3V7SG48
Luke H - Team Bandit
botomatic1000

Post by botomatic1000 »

I love it reminds me of Sabotage one of my favourite battlebots. 8)
Ethan Wall KINGS HEATH COLLIDERS
Current Robots: Sprat Bait: The worst 150g Wedge ever built...
Elysium 1.4: Antweight Undercutter, built by Team Riptide, Brummie glass cannon edition!
Barracuda: Beetleweight Vert... hates working...
bot_bandit

Post by bot_bandit »

I'm not familiar with that bot? Is that pre-reboot Battlebots? I've only seen the two new series.
Luke H - Team Bandit
botomatic1000

Post by botomatic1000 »

Ethan Wall KINGS HEATH COLLIDERS
Current Robots: Sprat Bait: The worst 150g Wedge ever built...
Elysium 1.4: Antweight Undercutter, built by Team Riptide, Brummie glass cannon edition!
Barracuda: Beetleweight Vert... hates working...
bot_bandit

Post by bot_bandit »

The shape is quite similar!!
Luke H - Team Bandit
bot_bandit

Re: Bandit's Bot-Building Bonanza

Post by bot_bandit »

An ImportANT Update!

I decided to use some of the extra weight I had to add some 1mm Aluminium armour panels around the entire robot! I think I'm going to call this robot Satsuma due to it being small and orange. I'm probably happy to say that it's finally complete too.

However, this only added an extra 15 grams to my robot so I still have 20 grams left over. hmmm.
It doesn't show up too well here but I tried to make the panels look a little distressed by being sloppy with glue and dulling them down a little so that it would look like it was straight out of the arena. I used a pen knife to angle the front of the scoop so that it runs flush against the floor and should be able to get under bots with any slight ground clearance. I also angled off all the edges to make it look a bit nicer. I found a 25cm square sheet of the stuff on eBay for just £1.95 including delivery so this still remains a reasonably priced bot.

A few other minor changes include :

A strip of an elastic band glued along the back edge (can be seen in photo)
I found that the bot did not consistently self right. I figured out that the issue was that the bot would slip on smooth surfaces causing the flipper's action to be converted into transnational rather than rotational movement. Adding the elastic to the pivot point gave it that much needed grip and it now rights every time!

Interior support
The flipper was a little weaker (structurally) than I had anticipated, especially with the metal scoop now on the end. It tended to bend when lifting heaver object. I added some extra support underneath the angle in the flipper and double up the polycarb and now it seems to do just fine lifting 150 grams. In retrospect I think that the flipper itself is probably too long, or at least could do without the angled part. However it still does the job.
I also managed to break the table the servo was resting on as the 3D printed layers got pulled apart. As well as this the servo would pull itself off any glue. I created a new table from polycarb and attached the servo with a cable tie and that seems to have done the job just fine.
Luke H - Team Bandit
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

That looks really nice; awesome job! :D
bot_bandit

Post by bot_bandit »

Thank you! :D hopefully soon it'll have some real battle scars.
Luke H - Team Bandit