Antweight robot max 1,5 cm height

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

glant
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:17 pm

Antweight robot max 1,5 cm height

Post by glant »

Hello,

I'm looking for someone to build a wireless robot with the following specs:

1) Max height of 1,5 cm or less including wheels or tracks. No particular limit for width or lenght.

2) CCTV micro camera with leds to light up 10 or 20 cm of path.

3) A battery of the size allowed by space constraints. (The minimum requirement is 50 meters of autonomy.)

Any suggestions on something ready made or someone who can build one is welcomed.

Thank you.

User avatar
bitternboy
Posts: 759
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:36 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: Antweight robot max 1,5 cm height

Post by bitternboy »

Hi and welcome :)

What purpose would the robot serve and would it be autonomous or RC? It sounds like more of a spy cam robot than an Antweight.

It doesn't sound too complicated though (although it might be a bit difficult to get the robot that thin), I'm sure you could find plenty of help here on making it but probably not someone to make it from you.

If it was an Antweight you were looking to make then there are loads of build diaries in this section of the forum to give you a rough idea of where to start.
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.

glant
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:17 pm

Re: Antweight robot max 1,5 cm height

Post by glant »

Hi and thank you for your answer.

Yes, this is an inspection robot and is not intended to be the classical Antweight for fun/competition. It should be radio commended by the "operator" that at the same time can see the cctv video real time.

I'm posting in this forum because I don't have myself the knowledge/time to build one, so I need some people with the skills to assemble ready made components.

I've done some research and I've found some micromotors 45/90rpm wide only 6mm: also keep in mind that the device can move very slow so only one speed is needed.

I hope someone can help me further.

User avatar
bitternboy
Posts: 759
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:36 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: Antweight robot max 1,5 cm height

Post by bitternboy »

Good thing you've done some research but like I said before, you like as not won't find people to make it for you here.

It sounds like a fun project though, why not give it a go yourself? The lack of knowledge can be easily fixed and it probably wouldn't take as much time as you'd think; I'd say if you have time to use the robot then you have time to build it :)
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.

glant
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:17 pm

Re: Antweight robot max 1,5 cm height

Post by glant »

bitternboy wrote:Good thing you've done some research but like I said before, you like as not won't find people to make it for you here.
Why not, maybe there are some students or professionals that want to earn some money and save me a lot of time ... Having seen the Antweights projects posted on this forum, I think that for this people would be only a matter to choose and assemble some specific components.
bitternboy wrote:It sounds like a fun project though, why not give it a go yourself? The lack of knowledge can be easily fixed and it probably wouldn't take as much time as you'd think; I'd say if you have time to use the robot then you have time to build it :)
This is an option, but now I want to explore the outsourcing way :D

Probably someone has already what I need, like the tiny pink robot you can see at the start of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDSii1R8vWs

User avatar
peterwaller
Posts: 3190
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 12:00 am
Location: Aylesbury Bucks
Contact:

Re: Antweight robot max 1,5 cm height

Post by peterwaller »

Hi and welcome to the forum.
As Jonathan has says you may not find anyone to build the robot for you but it sounds an interesting project so you would get advice.
For instance the tiny 6mm diameter gear motors are unlikely to be powerful enough to carry the camera and batteries so you would probably need something like this.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-100RPM ... 20f98f231b
These are 10mm high so would fit in the 15mm height restriction but wouldn't give much ground clearance if the surface it has to travel on is not smooth.
If you do decide to build it I suggest you explain exactly what the robot has to do so we can be sure any advice is sound.
Good luck.

EpicentrE
Posts: 829
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Coventry
Contact:

Re: Antweight robot max 1,5 cm height

Post by EpicentrE »

Hi Glant,

One thing I think you've failed to mention which is important would be what kind of surfaces you're expecting this to work on. If it only needs to work on smooth, flat surfaces, the 15mm high requirement is very easy to fulfil without sacrificing much, as ground clearance won't need to be too large. If, however, it needs to work on uneven surfaces, rough surfaces, or surfaces with gaps, this will need to be taken into consideration which makes it a little (but not much) more difficult.

Another question I feel is worth asking is do the wheels/tracks need to protrude out of both sides of the robot such that it can run inverted, or does it only need to run one way up?
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk

glant
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:17 pm

Re: Antweight robot max 1,5 cm height

Post by glant »

peterwaller wrote: For instance the tiny 6mm diameter gear motors are unlikely to be powerful enough to carry the camera and batteries so you would probably need something like this.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-100RPM ... 20f98f231b
Ok
peterwaller wrote:These are 10mm high so would fit in the 15mm height restriction but wouldn't give much ground clearance if the surface it has to travel on is not smooth.
In reality height restriction is 2cm, may be few mm less or more, so, 1,5 cm was already a conservative value.
peterwaller wrote:If you do decide to build it I suggest you explain exactly what the robot has to do so we can be sure any advice is sound. Good luck.
The robot should only bring the camera 15 meters inside a wall gap, transmit the video and then come back for reuse.
Usually I can do this with a rigid endoscope probe like this one but in this particular inspection scenario I can't use the rigid probe because the camera head will halt after few meters on wall roughness/protrusion on the side of the wall .
The surface where the bot will run is almost flat .
Last edited by glant on Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Shakey
Posts: 1113
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:38 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Antweight robot max 1,5 cm height

Post by Shakey »

Do you have a camera for use with the robot?
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!

glant
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:17 pm

Re: Antweight robot max 1,5 cm height

Post by glant »

EpicentrE wrote:Hi Glant,

One thing I think you've failed to mention which is important would be what kind of surfaces you're expecting this to work on. If it only needs to work on smooth, flat surfaces, the 15mm high requirement is very easy to fulfil without sacrificing much, as ground clearance won't need to be too large. If, however, it needs to work on uneven surfaces, rough surfaces, or surfaces with gaps, this will need to be taken into consideration which makes it a little (but not much) more difficult.
The surface where the bot will work is concrete that is almost flat, like this
EpicentrE wrote: Another question I feel is worth asking is do the wheels/tracks need to protrude out of both sides of the robot such that it can run inverted, or does it only need to run one way up?
No need to run inverted: is almost impossible for the bot to turn upside down
Last edited by glant on Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply