Team MedBots

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Max

Re: Team MedBots

Post by Max »

Does anyone know if you can use thread locker on plastic nuts and bolts? I've switched all of them to plastic to try to save weight but am already 2 grams over and haven't added teeth to the weapon yet. I think if I change the motor mount to something lighter I can save maybe 4 grams. Anyone got any ideas how I could save more weight or ideas for light weight but effective teeth?
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Lighter wheels? Could probably 3D print something that's the same diameter but thinner.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Max

Post by Max »

Already using some of Alex's custom wheels as I needed some slightly larger ones. I may be able to get some slightly lighter ones but Alex said they were pretty much as light as possible.
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Yeah, I couldn't go much lighter before it started getting to the point where they might not survive your own hits. :S
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Max

Post by Max »

Do simple push bots need a switch/removable link?
I've made a bot from an old Nokia phone so it is completely harmless, I would leave the battery unplugged before the fight and the back off the phone then just before the fight plug in the battery and close the back of the phone. The issue is to open the phone up again you have to pry it open with a screwdriver so if required tools to unplug battery.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

It is kinda against the rules. However sometimes I've been known to use a screwdriver to access my link a bit better. After all it IS accessible without the screwdriver, its just much easier with one. If it was a spinner or some kind of sharp weapon it'd be a definite no but I think it should be ok from what you're describing. Up to the tech checkers though.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Max

Post by Max »

Had a great time at AWS46, was really impressed with how Phileep 2 performed, wasn't expecting it to do so well, just a shame that both its losses were due to me driving straight out rather than due to the opponent pushing me out or something.
50/50 was a massive failure as I could never get it to spin up properly, I think a complete rebuild is in order.
WJEC also did surprisingly well, was very impressed with how well the scoop on the front worked once Rory stuck some acetate on it.
I think the less said about MEI FP2 and Nokiabot the better, we were hoping that both would draw a lot of spinners as MEI was meant to be spinner proof and Nokiabot was designed to explode spectacularly.

For the new 50/50 I am planning on having a gear around the weapon motor and an internal gear around the inside of the ring which should mean it spins up much better. For this I need a powerful motor that is ideally relatively short (20-30mm high) also needs quite a high kv as it gets geared down so much by the ring gear. I'd rather stick to 2s but I guess I could use 3s. Anyone got any suggestions for a motor?
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

This is always my favourite source for finding motors: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/br ... c_data.asp
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Max

Post by Max »

Thanks, that's helpful but I'm not sure what constitutes powerful in an antweight?

Has anyone used this motor:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh ... duct=14554

Is it any good?
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

That's from the family used in cutup and bad idea. Good motor for power but the mountings are very prone to breaking.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!