Earthwormjim's Stuff

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

earthwormjim

Re: Earthwormjim's Stuff

Post by earthwormjim »

terminaldamage wrote:Depends on the interpretation of the rules too:
2c) Robots must have an externally accessible way of being shut down (e.g. a power switch, removable link or battery plug).
23 has a way of being shut down (a power switch) and the switch is accessible from the outside, you don't need to go into the robot to turn it off. Seems to conform to the rules looking at it from that angle. But at the end of the day as has been mentioned, common sense/logical judgement is the best rule to enforce.

Nice robot, has a distinctive F1 feel too it :)
I agree. The rule reads like that to me. But the FRA rule would definitely exclude the robot.
Yeah, if is a bit F1 ish. (I am a big motorsport fan, so I guess it has crept into the design!)
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

playzooki wrote:Nice bot! I like the way you sort of carved 23 into the top, instead of just painting it. :)
Cheers. I just put the number into the top shell to break it up a bit. The shell thickness is 1.5,, pretty much everywhere, and the number cuts in 0.5mm, leaving enough of a dent. I just hand painted the indentation very badly, and went over the top with sandpaper, until the only paint left was in the relief section.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The switch is fine by me. RONNY has a recessed switch which can be operated by finger nail, although a screwdriver is easier.
As has been mentioned, it's really not an issue with a pusher. But then we really don't want different switch rules depending on weapon type...
The rules require "... an externally accessible way of being shut down..." There is no mention of tools and the intention is to provide a safe shut-down of runaway weapons. The switch is externally accessible (albeit with a simple tool) so it's OK.

Great design Jim, any chance of you getting along to Modelworld? If so, let me know and I'll organise an exhibitor's pass for you.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

BeligerAnt wrote:The switch is fine by me. RONNY has a recessed switch which can be operated by finger nail, although a screwdriver is easier.
As has been mentioned, it's really not an issue with a pusher. But then we really don't want different switch rules depending on weapon type...
The rules require "... an externally accessible way of being shut down..." There is no mention of tools and the intention is to provide a safe shut-down of runaway weapons. The switch is externally accessible (albeit with a simple tool) so it's OK.

Great design Jim, any chance of you getting along to Modelworld? If so, let me know and I'll organise an exhibitor's pass for you.
Thanks Gary.
Will definately be there. probably Friday I think. I will get the day booked off work, and let you know when it is confirmed. :)
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

A quick video of 23 too!!!...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQlTwZXiyOs
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Also borrowed Peters idea for testing grip. Got to about 45 degrees.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn9tRlqP ... TsU4Bo8-jg

I thought that was a pretty good performance, especially when I put some of the other robots to the test!!
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

That's quite worrying how much grip that has! What does it weigh ATM ?
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

It weighs dead on 150g.
The robot is really built around the tyres, they are really nice soft rubber, and with the heavy tread pattern, they do seem to grip quite nicely. The proof will be in the pudding, as they say, but so far, so good. :)
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Its ace Jim. No doubt you'll drive it off the edge and do us all the usual favor :P
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Thanks Dave, I think??? :o :D