Team Shock's Build Diary

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

teamocean

Re: Team Shock's Build Diary

Post by teamocean »

:) Don't worry Dave, I spent some time this afternoon sanding down the welds to make them look better. Also been sharpening the front so that it can get under things without the need for acetate. Works pretty well now.
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

teamocean wrote:....it should be pretty quick...
You're not kidding. 10:1 HPs, I can only assume, are insane. I've had to change from 30:1s in one of my ants as they were too quick. They're looking good as usual though. I really must try and get a flea running for the AWS.
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

Thanks Rhys, I am expecting pretty insane speeds from it but it will be fun to play with :)

Also picked up the hub and shell for Momentum 2 today. Had a very quick test before the battery died. I stupidly left my charger at home so there won't be any more until I get back home.

This new version has an overhead bar which should reduce the strain on the brushless and cure the spin up issues. This also made the whole thing much flatter and reduced the CoG as the bar is less than 25mm from the floor

Initial tests are very positive even with the bar on low power- the engagement is much better than the old FBS shell.

Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYIRndURB3I

Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
haz

Post by haz »

Froody. Looks killer Will.
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

I've been a bit quiet lately when it comes to ants but I have been starting to work on them a little during the breaks in my revision.

The last AWS didn't go so well for mine- here's what happened.

Inertia 5- had one fight with Titanic and the scoop broke off which allowed the disc to hit the floor and I5 to throw itself OOTA.
Inertia 6- kept going but the disc didn't do much damage
Inertia 7- again kept going but the disc had trouble spinning up
Momentum- Worked well- the blade came off but that was due to a lack of time to fit the retaining screws

So the changes I have decided on are:

Scrap Inertias 6&7- all the internals will be reused.

Titanium armour and front wedge for Inertia 5- It had 30g to spare at AWS40 so the weight will go on making sure that the scoop can't snap off and upgrading the armour.

Rebuild Inertia 3- The chassis for I3 was one of the strongest I have made and it is still in the toolbox, now I have a new disc for it I can rebuild it to the original spec.

Build Inertia 8- Using the parts from Inertia 6 mated with one of my single tooth titanium discs and a new chassis which is already cadded up.

Build an 'Alsoran' type cluster partner to run alongside Momentum.
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

Inertia 8 has been printed (thanks to PinPoint 3D for the work).

Going for the same approach as Inertia 5 with a single tooth disc. This one has a bigger brushless (28mm up from 22) and a little more space inside to allow for the RX31 controller module from I6.

Apart from that the rest is the same as Inertia 6 although I may go for an extra lipo cell if there is weight remaining once the Titanium armour/ scoop has been fitted.

Some pics

Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I thought that robot on their site looked familiar.
I am getting a quote for a new shell for Defiant to see what the finish is like.
I have been saving up my pennies for a possible purchase and the UP looks as good as any of the affordable ones if the quality is OK.
knightrous

Post by knightrous »

You can get a better finish on the 3D printed parts by giving them a sauna session in a pressure cooker and some acetone.
The UP Mini is a good little printer, this is what BotBitz are currently using to do their Antweight Kit
Antweights: Scarlet

BotBitz - Antweight, Beetleweight & Featherweight parts at an affordable price.
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

Been a while since I've even touched my ants but I finally took them out of the box today and to my surprise both Momentum and Inertia 5 still run.

Momentum is good to go.

I5 needs the scoop repairing and the titanium armour fitting.

I8 is printed and awaiting assembly- should be running for Basingstoke

I am also contemplating putting a flipper together so that I can enter some of the non spinner comps. Hopefully I'll get some spare time before the event.
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

Got the ants running for the weekend from left to right we have Inertia 5, mANTa and Momentum 2

Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk