L.W.S Robotics build diarys

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

tweedermeister

L.W.S Robotics build diarys

Post by tweedermeister »

just to introduce my self: my name is Jack, i'm 15 and I have just recently started building antweights with the help of my friend chris. I already have one antweight called masochist and i'm working on another called anarchist.
BeligerAnt

Re: L.W.S Robotics build diarys

Post by BeligerAnt »

Welcome to the forum Jack, look forward to meeting you at an event before too long. Keep your eyes on the Events threads - all events are posted there.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Welcome to our wonderful world, Jack! :D
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
tweedermeister

Post by tweedermeister »

I went to the maidstone event but its annoying because just about every other event is on the other side of the country to me because I live on the south east coast and cant make it to many other events
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Our (antweight-only) events are held independent of the Roaming Robots / Robots Live events, although there are often antweights at these events too.

Having just got back from AWS36 in Bristol I can confirm it *is* a long way from the south-east!
However, the next AWS will be held in Reading and I am hoping to run a smaller event, aimed at newcomers, at Brighton University next spring.

Also, if you can get along to Brighton Modelworld in February, do stop by our stand and say hello. :)
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
tweedermeister

Post by tweedermeister »

the one thing that worries me about going to aws is going up against spinners because of the amount of damage they do
and if that event at brighton university does hapen i willl definetly get down there, and I should be able to make it to model world, should i bring my antweight to modelworld just for a mess around ?
tweedermeister

Post by tweedermeister »

anarchist should be finished by thursday as soon as i can get my hands on a hot glue gun
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

No one would suggest you should have to fight a spinner if you don't wan't to. There are non spinner competitions before some events you can enter and you can always say no to a fight with a spinner (although the battle would be counted as lost). And if you could make either brighton event that would be great, definately bring your robot and get some driving practice. :)
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Don't be too afraid of spinners before you see them in person. Its almost a built in reaction of a roboteer to fear spinners, but I can't remember the last time a spinner damaged its opponent so badly that the robot was a complete write-off (not without its owner giving permission anyway). Fear of spinners is fear of combat, and that's what its all about at the end of the day.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Welcome to the hobby Jack, looking forward to seeing what you come up with - do you have any pics? :)
Dave26 wrote:I can't remember the last time a spinner damaged its opponent so badly that the robot was a complete write-off (not without its owner giving permission anyway).
I have to add that even when the owner has enthusiastically given permission, robots can and often do survive in perfect working order XD so spinners...aren't too much of a threat really, they're as much a danger to themselves as they are to you a lot of the time.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"