Invadants

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: Invadants

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I'm not sure a robot that can only ever go in circles from the start (and therefore will be counted down straight away) really counts as an actual legal walker. Surely a robot must have full function (as in forwards/backwards and steering of some kind) to be legal?
Could you try some sort of bristlebot?
Or maybe do what I did last time. If you don't intend to enter your fleaweights into the AWS in any way, you could detach the drive servos from the mini explosion after the FWS and put them into the small walker to team with gust for the AWS? Or just bring someone else to drive one of them and enter it as a seperate team.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

I agree with Dave here. "Controlled movement" to me implies that the machine must be able to move in a direct fashion to any point in the arena within a sensible amount of time.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Yep,I get that too.
It would be too easy for everyone to glue together a servo,a battery and an rx,and call it a walker to get a 4th entry.Nice try though! :D
Team Invade

Post by Team Invade »

Doh! Was worth a try :)

Better to ask now though so I've got some time to think of something else. There are some 3G servos on GiantShark so I might get some of those and see if I can manage to get two in so that it has 'some' form of controlled movement.
Website | YouTube | Photobucket | Build Diary

Featherweight UK Champion
Heavyweight Robot Wars Champion

Heavyweight Tag Team Champion
Featherweight Tag Team Champion
Team Invade

Post by Team Invade »

Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Wow, that's looking pretty impressive. Do you think you'll get it all crammed in the chassis by the weekend?
Team Invade

Post by Team Invade »

I hope so! It all fits... just, the only issue is whether it'll be built in time. Also, due to the three rollers rule I'd have to decide whether or not to enter it in the AWS anyway (unless a 15.41g cluster magically appears). Likelihood is it will be bodged together and used for testing until next year, or maybe the warm up if we can enter both that and the FWS.

Team Invade

Post by Team Invade »

More progress

Weight: 74.76g (that was close :) )
Armour: 1mm HDPE & 0.5mm Aluminium
Weapon: Flipper
Flipper Servo: MG90
Speed Controller: 2x SG90 servo boards
Batteries: 2x Turnigy Nano-Tech 130mAh 1C Lipos
Reciever: Orange RX
Drive Servos: 2x SG90 servos
Wheels: 21mm diameter Lego wheels
Length: 82mm
Width: 86mm
Height: 35mm

That was tight on weight, but considering that there's 32g of servo in there I'm quite happy. It flips quite well, I think the 4/5 extra grammes for metal gears on the weapon servo was justified. It should fit in the cube diagonally, and diagonally up, but if it doesn't there are a few things that can be done on the day to get it to fit (chopping off the lip). How much scales inaccuracy leeway do fleas get? I'd like to try and make a HDPE flipper as I don't have much faith in that aluminium against a spinner.

I've gone for a complete name change on all of my robots, as the others are a bit unimaginative in my opinion (I came up with Spark and Flame when I was about eight, these are the sixth/seventh versions now). It seems like the right opportunity to do this before anyone gets too used to them. The new ones are a bit more team-fitting:

Spark - Implosion (Reasonably easy choice :P )
Flea Spark - Irruption
Gust - Intrusion (Based off Invasion)
Flea Gust - Incursion
Flame - Combustion

I've also done a couple of upgrades to the others:

Combustion has a new 1mm titanium 'flappy' bucket, so it will stay flush to the ground and should hopefully keep the spinners at bay.

The picture isn't very clear, but there are now extra 2mm skirts around the edge of Implosion. Any spinner wanting to get to this robot now has to get through 4mm of HDPE, and I'm pretty confident they won't considering that 4mm HDPE is the same thickness used in the front of the feather :D

Just one more to go... I think 'possible' might be the best word to describe it.

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Looking great! I like the new names, makes it seem like its all from the same team, though I bet we all mix up which one is which! At least they're labelled! lol
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Team Invade

Post by Team Invade »

The team for tomorrow:

The pneumatic ant is working, but not properly, so I'll bring that for a bit of testing, as it won't be going in the AWS. It holds around 50PSI now without a major leak, but does still leak so it doesn't last long. Des nice somersaults even at that pressure though, very team-fitting!

As for the five I'm entering, I'm not too sure. Atleast they all work. The two I expect to do well are Implosion (Spark) and Intrusion (Gust). They work well and I'm confident they should withstand spinners. Combustion (Flame) should do alright, I'm hoping, but it doesn't have the power of the others and is a bit of a 'bodge job' apart from the titanium. The two fleas are opposites. The pusher is pretty slow with 300RPM motors and 16mm wheels, so I don't expect it to do that well until it gets some faster motors. The flipper is stupidly fast even on half throttle and on the verge of uncontrollable, so that may also be a problem. However they do work well for what they are and work as well as I expected, so I'll be interested to see how they perform.

Lets see what happens :)