Ant related questions

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Bodge Job

Ant related questions

Post by Bodge Job »

Hayy I'm new on this forum, (but I have been on the FRA forum for about a year) and I have decided I'm going to build and antweight robot. I already have some experience with different weight classes, so I'm not a total newby.. Lol. My robot is going to be called "Cool Beans" and it's probably going to be a crusher (I know there pretty ineffective, but they look quiet cool, and there are so many lifters/flippers around that I want something different..lol) so I think im going to use 2 9 gram servos for drive, and I will speed hack them if they are to slow (the ones I have are probably Chinese clones) with Lego wheels, and im going to use a geared down, powerful servo (any suggestions would be helpful) for the crusher, the body will probably be aliminuim and the armour a baked been tin, and a stainless steel crusher, does this sound ok? Thanks
daliad100

Re: Ant related questions

Post by daliad100 »

Grrr, forum ate my post :evil:

In short:

You only really need plastic for the crusher and they're not that ineffective.

Danny Sharples' (aka Anoptimistprime) robot Antidisestablishmentarianism (now called "Craig Charles signed my robot" I think) came third at the last AWS with a lego clamper.

Anoptimistprime wrote:http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i33 ... AG0207.jpg

Here's my two finally finished

On the left its antidisestablishmentarienism (probably wrong spelling)
And btbboh on the right
(Most from memory)
Anti...m
Weight: 148.7
Armour: 1mm polycarb
Weapon:changeable (grabber or flipper)
Drive:50:1 motors and pololu wheels with Pete w option d board
Battery:2s loop 300mah
Team Imperial - What is that, metric?
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Crushers tend to be more useful as clamping tools, so you might be better off just keeping the speed of the crusher servo as it is and not expecting to go through any armour. You can just carry your opponent to the edge and drop them off and that often works very well.

Personally I would avoid the servos in favour of motors for more drive power and speed, but that adds complexity, so go with whatever works for you :)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Bodge Job

Post by Bodge Job »

Ok thanks, and I will probably stick with servos ATM, I'm only building it, so I have something to do between fights with my feather... So it doesn't need to be any thing special, and I can't afford to pay much for this robot, I already owned the servos, and all the body work, so al I was going to do was stick it together... Lol and the forum ate my last post as well!! :/
haz

Post by haz »

servos ftw, it would be good to see an actual ant crusher
ajw

Post by ajw »

Welcome! I'm new to the forum and antweights too. I'm also in the process of building my first ant with a similar spec to yours i.e 9g servo drive and other low cost components! I'll hopefully be posting with some progress soon, so will also be nice to follow your progress as well.
Bodge Job

Post by Bodge Job »

Yeh cool
Bodge Job

Post by Bodge Job »

I'm using 2 tower pro sg90's for drive, and I need to modifi them, (I know this info is already on the forum some where, but after searching though for a while I couldn't find it) I know that you have to cut out the pieces of the bottoms of the first large gear (the one that you screw the servo horn on to) and I'm guessing I have to drill out the little bit in side so the shaft with the flat side on it doesn't move while the gear is moving, (am I right?) but I was wondering what I do to hold it in place (the thingy migig that turns so the controller knows what position the gear is in (I can't remember it's name ATM) like do u have to glue it? or cut it of? Or un wire it some how? Thanks
daliad100

Post by daliad100 »

http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/forum/d ... php?id=584

My guide for the mg90s that might help.
Team Imperial - What is that, metric?
Bodge Job

Post by Bodge Job »

Ok thanks! That sort of what I did/ doing, but I think the servos are clones, they have plastic gears, and are blue :/ but oh well...