Ant related questions

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

joey_picus

Re: Ant related questions

Post by joey_picus »

How are you getting 5-6kgs of crush? 0.7mm armour is also a bit weak, really, unless it's metal you're going to have some issues with spinners.

Incidentally, if you think tiny robots are small and fiddly, I find featherweights and above too big with too much unused space to get into mostly, heh :) it's all different perspectives, but they're all fighting robots ^^
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Sounds good Bodge Job, are we likely to see you in combat in the UK?

Simon
Team Nuclear

Post by Team Nuclear »

yeah, he'll probably test it out on my robot then we'll go to a event and destroy everyone :)
Ben
The creator of... Laser, Evil Pig Sty and Striker
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I did a test ages ago with a nail and some 1mm polycarb, which was about 12kg of force to get through it. If you have a pointy spike it should go through with 5-6kg. I would also recommend having more than 0.7mm armour, or bolt it on well and have an air gap behind it. 0.5m/s is quite slow for ants these days with gear motors, I would recommend at least 1m/s, you can always slow it down if you need to.
TEAM GEEK!
Bodge Job

Post by Bodge Job »

Hmm I will probably only take it to robots live, and roaming robots events, but if it's peticulaly effective, then I will take it to some AWS's and it 0.7 mm aluminium... So would that be ok? Or still two thin? And hope fully more than 3kilos of crush, as that's how much force to get though 1mm polycarb with the crushing arm, but I bent it at about 6 kg trying to get though aluminium... So I need to re make it, and make it the right size to fit the actuator (which arrived today) and it has quiet a lot of power. But it's 3.5 inches long, with out the motor, so it's going to be quiet had to fit it in to the design there is one easy way, but is really ugly, so I don't know what I'm going to do yet...
haz

Post by haz »

12kg's of force to get thought 1mm polycarb
Bodge Job

Post by Bodge Job »

No, it depends on the tip of what ever you crushing/cutting, because the presure is considerably higher with a sharper tip, as nails arnt very sharp, and are made of softer steel, so they can't be sharpened very easily, so I'm going to have a hardened steel tip, which will be as sharp as I can get it, so the presure should be higher...
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

depends what nails you buy :P
Bodge Job

Post by Bodge Job »

Haha, yeh I sopose so, but generally, there not that sharp, as I'm sure a lot of builders would end up skewering their hands if they were any sharper... Lol...
Bodge Job

Post by Bodge Job »

OK, my servo boards just exploded, so any recommendations of a servo board from giant cod, which can take 7 volts? thanks