Ant related questions

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Bodge Job

Re: Ant related questions

Post by Bodge Job »

Oh :oops: lol there good.... I don't know how I didn't see them before... And I will probably go for the larger one, as I think the extra driving time will help (as it has done in my feather) lol thanks for the help
Bodge Job

Post by Bodge Job »

I have ordered the stuff, so I'm gonna have to wait another 3 weeks for the stuff to arrive (as all those Chinese clones, were irresistibly cheap...) lol, and I was wondering, would 1 mm aluminium be sufficient for a chassis? Or over kill? And I was going to go for a Razor style robot, as I think it would look quiet cool, and for the armour, I may go for 0.5-1mm polycarbonate spray painted silver, to make it look razor ish....or aluminium. And I think I will change the name, and save the name "Cool Beans" for something else... So any ideas for a name? thanks
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

I love 1mm alu but no one seems to share my feelings :) . It does fine for a chassis but you might want to drill some holes as it's pretty tough and weighty as materials go.
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
haz

Post by haz »

i used it for everything about a year ago, but then i ran out of it :)
Bodge Job

Post by Bodge Job »

Hmm ok, thanks, and what is the best grade of titanium for the crushing arm? And what thickness do u suggest? I have found a 0.5mm grade 1 peice of about the right size, and was wondering if the would be ok? And I have some 0.7 mm aluminium as well, so would that work?
Team Nuclear

Post by Team Nuclear »

i would say 0.5mm G5 or 1mm G1 ti for the crushing arm.
Evil pig sty's chasis is 1.2mm, I dont think 0.7mm would be up to it for a chasis
Ben
The creator of... Laser, Evil Pig Sty and Striker
Bodge Job

Post by Bodge Job »

ok, so what are the different grades like? like which are the tughest, which cracks, which dont bend easily? which sharpends well? etc...
Bodge Job

Post by Bodge Job »

Infact, I probably won't do the "Razer" design, as it wont be very strong, and it wouldn't be very effective...
Bodge Job

Post by Bodge Job »

Hmm I'm finally makeong some design desisions... And these tiny robots, are really hard and fiddily... And I have decided, a 3mm HDPE chassis, and 0.7 mm armour (would that survive against spinners?) it's a wedge, with the crushing arm in the middle, Im hopping for about 5 or 6 kgs of crush, which should easily get though 0.5-1.5 mm ploycarb, and bend aluminium, and damage batteries etc. And the crushing arms full stroke will take about 5 seconds. And It should go about 0.5 m/s (is that an ok speed?) as soon as the actuator arrives I'm gonna start making, so you should hopefully see some progress with in two weeks (hopefully) lol