Ant related questions

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Bodge Job

Re: Ant related questions

Post by Bodge Job »

Hmm I was thinking about using servos like those, but for the crushing arm, I need lots of power, and those servos can't provide it, so I would have to gear them down, and I figured that the gearing system would weigh about 40 grams... So the large servo is a better option...
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

A grabber is a good weapon and there aren't that many robots with them. From my own experience you need a bigger battery with a grabber because you stall the motor. A 55g servo isn't out of the question in an ant, but fitting it in a nice shape robot may be difficult. The other option is to use 2 smaller servos coupled together, just swap the motor and 2 outer pot wires to reverse the direction.
TEAM GEEK!
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

I've used a supertec naro metal gear (digital) and found it gives excellent torque at 6v and plenty of speed. It won't give you any "crushing power" however and if you do want to be able to do proper damage with your claw I would think a linear actuator is the only thing that would do.

http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/servo_jp.html the servo if you want it.
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Bodge Job

Post by Bodge Job »

A linear actuator in an ant? I have no idea were I could buy one small enough, but I may be able to make one... A bolt and some sort of motor me thinks...
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

I have no idea were I could buy one small enough
I was thinking something similar (it would be pretty tricky), there is a video of an antweight linear actuator setup on the forum somewhere but I can't find it...
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
haz

Post by haz »

i made a flea actuator from a cd player
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

How did you do that Harry? *has some broken electronic things he might be able to hack*
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
haz

Post by haz »

well, you know they have the little laser bit that moves along, took that out and made a frame for it, shall i take some video of it?
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

FYI: I have seen linear actuators that are ant sized. They are sold by lego and I have seen a number on eBay. Have a look on youtube for lego robot wars, some of them use said actuators.
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Pritt-stick has a nice linear actuator mech, just attach the servo to the bottom handle and the weapon to the part that normally holds the glue.
TEAM GEEK!