Ant related questions

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Anoptimistprime

Re: Ant related questions

Post by Anoptimistprime »

Yeah it's renamed and if you stick to the cheap micro metal geared servos their pretty strong and quick
It was more of a grabber as I managed to grab a few and then push them out
For that I'd recommend using gearmotors as the servos never seem quick or strong enough if their speed hacked

Good luck with the crusher idea it sounds quite good :)
I'm an optimist prime
Not a negatron
Bodge Job

Post by Bodge Job »

Yeh thanks, I may order some proper sg90's and I'm not going to bother with gear motors, Im trying to make this as cheaply as possible, unless I somehow make a super strong crusher or something, I won't be going to the AWS... so im not going to need the extra speed/power they provided... And thanks for the help!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

There have been a couple of crushers in antweights that have actually done damage. I have some fights on DVD. An old robot called Lower (as seen on Robot Wars Extreme) managed to pierce a lipo on Cannon Fodder once. Lots of smoke. And one called Resurrected had a crusher driven by a screw mechanism (like on a car jack) that was pretty nasty. Of course, armourments have enhanced since those days, but its certainly possible to build something with a bit of grunt. And we have had 2 crusher champions in the past too, with Close Shave and Lower both winning past AWSs.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Bodge Job

Post by Bodge Job »

Yeh, I wanted to make a decent crusher if I could, I was considering two stage crushing systems (fast at first so it can clap them, then more powerfully at the end, so it could cause the damage...) But i think it would be two heavy if I do that.... But any suggestions would be helpful (and info about the mechanism on those robots would also help...) thanks
Bodge Job

Post by Bodge Job »

i have been looking at these: http://www.giantcod.co.uk/towerpro-mg16 ... 02699.html
has any one used these before? if so, are they ok? are they good value for money??? are they resambly tough? thanks
Bodge Job

Post by Bodge Job »

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/towerpro-mg94 ... 05044.html what about this for a weapon servo? is it ok?
thanks
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

a bit too heavy for an ant at 55g
haz

Post by haz »

mine was nearer 60g :)
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

I use a HS82MG servo in my ants and it works well for flippers while only weighing 20grams roughly. Metal geared too.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I agree on the HS82, unless you're putting too much repeated motion on them (like Jigsaw did when self righting) then they're brilliant servos and will comfortably handle anything you might have to flip in antweights.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"