Cheap antweight kits

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

bitternboy

Re: Cheap antweight kits

Post by bitternboy »

Metal geared servos might be a bit hard to modify... :-?
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
daliad100

Post by daliad100 »

The mg90s is an easy one to modify, you just pull out the stop. Although you may want to drill out one of the gears/grind down the pot shaft as well as gluing it to make it less likely to creep.
Team Imperial - What is that, metric?
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

here's a parts list for both my current robots. both cost me very little though i was lucky to get some parts for free.

electric eel:

tx- hitec ranger 3 £0 (thanks dave!)
rx-corona 40mhz £bottle of coke (thanks dave!)
drive servoz- towerpro mg90's £10 for both
battery- 6v 120mah £4
flipper servo- slow crappy plastic geared one £4
armour- 1mm polycarb with a bit of hdpe £2 for a3 sheet
wheels- cheap foam ones of gc £1.50 for both
total: £21.50 + a bottle of coke

squidly didly:
tx- spektrum dx6i £0 (long story, thanks sam!)
rx- ar6100e (i think) £5
drive servoz- towerpro mg90's £10 for both
battery- 6v 120mah £4
axe servo- towerpro mg90s £4
armour- 1mm polycarb £2 for a3 sheet
wheels: cheapy foam ones from gc £1.50 for both
total: £26.50

by the way in my previous post i was referring to the weapon servo harry uses. i use mg90's for drive (more torque than mg90s's) which i would say are better but i'm not sure if you can speed hack them.
haz

Post by haz »

mg90s are good flea weapon servos but a bit underpowered for an ant. jarvis found some servos for £11 that are basicly the hitec metal gear ones just a little heavyer and £3 cheaper.

jonny, think kits rather than "i got this for free, yay i'm great!!!" free dx6i's and actual spectrum rxs might not be the best way :P

i chose the sg90s as they are cheaper. the foam wheels aren't that great either, ive been able to push squiddly diddly around...
...with a fleaweight
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Looking good guys, thanks for all the info.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

mg90s has 2.2kg/cm torque, only .1kg less than the one you mentioned, you could also go for the mg90 (2.5kg/cm) if you don't mind spending £2 more. my post is about what parts are in my robots and how much they cost me, i am not saying they're great and without flaws. foam wheels have there disadvantages i know, but as i said before it is just a list of the parts that i have used. I was not telling people how to make the greatest robot, nor telling them how to make the cheapest.

mg90 wise i have used them in Electric Eel 3.5 a robot that has had a total run time of 5 hours+ and never had a servo fail. this is why imo they are better than sg90's.
haz

Post by haz »

you get what you pay for :)
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

yep, stay tuned for electric eel 4! gearmotors
roamingrobots

Post by roamingrobots »

Ive just been reading this with interest as i know a lot of you dont like our Battle Antz.

Comments I hear are....

Way too expensive
We can build better and cheaper
We can build in the antweight weight limit.

But I havent yet seen an equivalent, or a list of components within the same budget and look forward to seeing what is out there and discussing it.
remember a kit cant have anything which was borrowed or given, it has to be made in a way where if someone ordered a 100, you can easily make them with a short lead time.
We've been through all this and are working through another order of 100 for singapore at the moment which need to be sent very soon in prep for my trip out there in November.

My visit to AWS was interesting, as I have some ideas in the pipeline for antweights, and events in the future, it was interesting to see what goes on, the kind of robots people build, and the kind of fights you get in a full combat competition.

John
Roaming Robots
Last edited by roamingrobots on Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haz

Post by haz »

i also find the name a tad missleading