shapeways.

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

josh

Post by josh »

With 3d printing it tends to be that you use it to make something more complex than you would've have attempted by hand so you still have to develop an idea and make it work it's just that's all done on a computer through simulation rather than trial and error with a hacksaw. antweights are just becoming like formula 1 :lol:
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I like robots that have the personality of the builder. All the "wonky bits" are good, they add character. Things like Shapeways just produce emotionless, clinical robots for me. And the last thing we want is for robot building to become like Formula 1! Whoever has the most money/sponsorship and the best technology wins, no thanks. Thats the day I stop. It's variety that makes this the best weight class, not machine-produced souless bits of plastic IMHO.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
haz

Post by haz »

i promise i will allways be wonky :D

...god that sounds soooo wrong :wink:
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Maybe shapeways could introduce a feature that automatically makes the robot a bit wonky. :P

I prefer hand built not 3D printed.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I've used 3D print for weight reduction and for a bot I couldn't make otherwise (BH and St Jimmy), but both of them still have hand built elements, all the armour and weapons are all still hand made, so mine are still an odd fit in places :)
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Dave26 wrote:I like robots that have the personality of the builder. All the "wonky bits" are good, they add character. Things like Shapeways just produce emotionless, clinical robots for me. And the last thing we want is for robot building to become like Formula 1! Whoever has the most money/sponsorship and the best technology wins, no thanks. Thats the day I stop. It's variety that makes this the best weight class, not machine-produced souless bits of plastic IMHO.
You obviously don't watch much F1. Toyota had the highest budget for about 5 consecutive years, and they never even won a race. Yet Red Bull, who operate on a comparative shoestring budget to the other big team have been dominating for the past two seasons.

My point is that good ideas and good designs will win competitions, not money. Plus getting a chassis 3d printed isn't that much more expensive than building one yourself.
josh

Post by josh »

The weight limit means you can't really spend much more than it costs to make a robot by hand, you pay for the volume of material you use so in an antweight it's not very much at all. I agree in that I much preferred building robots by hand and taking time to get them to work myself rather than adjusting a simulation and sending off to receive all my pieces in 2 weeks ready to bolt together and solder up. But then I can make things much more complex with the 3d printing, than I could with polycarbonate, a hacksaw and a file, hence try and make up for my appalling driving in the design of my robots.
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
Rhys

Re: shapeways.

Post by Rhys »

My first order came today, the chassis for a new antweight I'm building. I have to say I was very impressed. It was incredibly accurate, the hinge for the flipper just slotted straight in, I thought I'd have to file it a bit first. Also, it's a bit stiffer than I was expecting, and doesn't look quite as powdery as I thought it might. I would advise anyone else ordering to use at least 1.5mm thickness though. I have a small part on the rear which is 1mm and it doesn't feel too solid.

Still needs a bit of work before it's ready for AWS. It needs painting, some armour, new wheels, a bit of soldering and all the bits stuck in place properly. Expect to see it in the new robots thread soon :D
kickboxer

Post by kickboxer »

hi guys bringing this back up.
this is the design (thanks to josh)

http://www.shapeways.com/model/284199/r ... tml?gid=ug
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

I think for something that simple, using aluminium or HDPE would be much cheaper, but don't let me stop you I expect it would look great.
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.