Pop!

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

josh

Post by josh »

Done some work ont he pneumatic system. Still have the secondary tank to put in have to work out where it's going to fit as all the connections are solid meaning its pretty much impossible to rearrange he pieces without making plugs and redrilling ports...
thats a lot of machine time...
Last edited by josh on Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Josh, you have inspired me to look at my co2 antweight! Pop looks good I hope to see it at aws33
TEAM GEEK!
josh

Post by josh »

Lathe arrived today, looks like its definately going to take some mastering, seems much harder to work a smaller lathe than a 4ft engineering lathe with auto feed at school... but then i have till next february or so to make this system so should be fine.
How far have you got Andrew? are you using a regulator of some kind? i though of using co2 as it corrects its pressure in the tank so the pressure going to the ram is consistent until empty unlike compressed air however I couldnt work out how I would regulate the high pressures of Co2 back to 100 psi... but with a buffer and 2 tanks i think i should last a fight at least.
few pictures, just started working on some brass pieces for the current pop to add some more weight over the wheels:
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Niiiiiiice.(drool,drool.)
Fantastic work,btw. :)
josh

Post by josh »

cheers :)
I've been working with the lathe getting to used to what it does and doesnt like. Made a couple brass bars to add some weight over the wheels and reinforce the sides. also finnished off the cell mounts although they definately cleaning up. hopefull I will get the bars put in and do a couple more for the front tomorrow when the drill chuck that actually fits the lathe comes :roll:

I also got a delivery of bar stock today to make my pneumatic set up, so busy half term ahead! Quite a lot of milling to do on the pieces once i;ve turned them so i may be begging for a few hours machine time with someone who has a mill as i won't be back at school for a while and machining there is quite hard due to time restrictions and supervision issues...

couple more pictures, theyre all from an iphone camera but they do actually come out better than a digital compact...
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
josh

Post by josh »

I'm looking at copper pipe, about 4mm dia, to link the buffer and main tanks, has anyone worked with thin copper pipe before? will it require a pipe bending tool to get a suitable bend in it or will i be able to bodge a quick tool? also how would peope sudgest attaching copper pipe to aluminium tanks, I was thinking silver solder but obviosuly this wont work with aluminium maybe just epoxy and a tight hole but im not sure if this will be sufficient?
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
josh

Post by josh »

playing with some online calculators, they all seem to come out with different numbers but they all say well above 20kg force at the flipper tip with my set up :lol:
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Copper is fairly soft and easy to bend, but if you want relatively tight bends, or only have short peices, you may need a tool to get a decent bend in it. Bigger radius bends in long pieces can be done easily by hand.
Brass tube is slightly stiffer but is commonly available in short lengths from model shops for a few pounds.

I don't think there's an easy way of bonding anything to aluminium :roll:
If you are making the tank yourself, is there any point where you can access the inside? If so, you could push the tube into the tank then flare the end out so it holds itself in the tank. It would need sealing with epoxy, but the flared pipe would be providing the mechanical strength. The epoxy (or silicone) would only be there to make a seal.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
josh

Post by josh »

was thinking about that will give it a go this week.
Done a bit more today, finnished off the brass connectors and the cell mounts. Got the titanium for the flipper and the back piece this morning from dave so cheers for that. Wil lget those fitted later or tomorrow.
few more pictures, those cells are 12mm wide and the wheels are 18mm:
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
josh

Post by josh »

busy machining some blanks ready to bore out for the cylinder... i have aluminium swarf all over me...
Image Image
Last edited by josh on Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com